In 1998, the State Government of WA held a competitive tender process to identify a proponent to develop a new port to service the Perth metropolitan area.
As a result of this process James Point Pty Ltd (JPPL) was selected for the design construction and operation of a port facility to be located in the vicinity of James Point, Cockburn Sound (DAL, 2001).
Fremantle Ports (FPA) has also progressed development concepts for its Fremantle Ports Outer Harbour.
JPPL engaged BMT to carry out a re-estimate of capital costs for the key
infrastructure associated with the proposed James Point Port.
This re-estimate was intended to clarify costs associated with the proposed development, with up to date costs taking into account the significant increase in construction costs in recent years.
In addition to this, BMT carried out a similar estimate of capital costs for the FPA Island Option in order to compare the likely costs associated with JPPL and FPA proposals for a new port facility in the same area.
- Review previous cost estimates
- Develop cost estimates for key infrastructure including: dredging and reclamation, breakwaters and seawalls, land-backed wharves, bridge structures, navigation aids, roads and hardstand, rail, buildings, services and security
- Report on basis and assumptions for the estimates.
Services and Expertise Provided
- Port planning and development
- Breakwater and seawall design
- Jetty and wharf design
- Dredging studies and assessment
- Cost estimating.