Brisbane - Australia, Perth - Australia
Eastern Australia Environment Team, Western Australia Environment Team
Posted 6 weeks ago
Purpose of the Role
Reporting directly to the Managing Director, the core focus of this role is to provide outstanding leadership whilst delivering on the company’s purpose and financial strategy and ensuring mutually beneficial outcomes with key stakeholders are created and sustained.
This role will ensure that the Environmental Australia consulting team has the appropriate competencies, skills, tools and equipment to deliver excellent customer outcomes. He/she is also responsible for contributing to the innovation agenda within the business to develop new services and capabilities to meet market demands.
The Head of Consulting will be a key member of the Executive Management Team and will manage and lead teams of professional consultants across the Environment Australia business (presently located in Brisbane, Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle and Bangalow).
This role can be either situated in Brisbane or Perth.
Responsibilities and Tasks
1. In collaboration with the MD and the Environment Australia Senior Leadership team, develop and deliver the operating unit business strategy and longer term business aspirations, as well as the annual Integrated Strategic Business Plan (ISBP) and budgeting, providing a clear view of current and future requirements and a plan to meet performance and growth targets.
2. Direct line management of Team Leaders covering the national consulting team (currently six core teams) and ensure optimum utilisation of staff aligned to financial, performance and strategic targets.
3. Working with the MD and Team Leaders, ensure that consulting staff are organised into effective, agile teams to meet key outputs and service excellence while providing opportunities for personal development through training, mentoring and coaching.
4. Working with the Operations Manager and Team Leaders, ensure that projects are delivered using appropriate tools and equipment consistent with the business’ longer-term strategy and aspirations.
5. Support the MD and HR in the effective engagement and development of staff to maximise performance and success through staff engagement, retention and attraction, and to ensure appropriate professional development, succession planning and staff flexibility.
6. Contribute at and outside leadership meetings on the full range of business issues and risks impacting on the consulting services.
7. Perform customer reviews of significant projects and analyse feedback and assess patterns and trends in use of staff (esp. utilisation) and sub-contractors, etc, to support continuous improvement and to identify capability / competency gaps and opportunities for investment.
8. Working with all teams across Environment Australia, ensure technical staff are joined-up and collaborating to encourage knowledge sharing and to facilitate inter-office staff resource sharing and broader staff mobility.
9. Create a pool of talented, diverse and capable staff able to support the development and delivery of new consulting services and to grow market capture, and develop a delivery strategy by considering competencies, recruitment and training plans and supporting HR to manage their implementation.
10. Expand and identify current and new consulting opportunities by strengthening customer relationships.
11. In collaboration with the Commercial Team and Project Managers, review the commercial risks and arrangements for all key projects to ensure they are acceptable and profitable.
12. In collaboration with the Finance Team and Project Managers, periodically review key projects to ensure delivery within agreed commercial and financial risks and to agreed profit levels.
13. Facilitate (and mediate if necessary) the management of external suppliers, sub-consultants and partners to ensure that ‘best for project’ teams are developed and supported in delivery.
14. In collaboration with key stakeholders, develop and manage Performance Objectives for all direct reports to help target performance and commercial acumen of their respective teams.
15. In consultation with relevant leadership team members, ensure that delivery support roles, including spatial, graphic and digital data services, contribute effectively to business performance.
16. Ensure adherence to standards, quality and good corporate and financial governance, as laid out in the Corporate Operating Policies & Procedures and the timely and efficient performance of delegated tasks and responsibilities.
17. Offer guidance, mentoring, and support to direct reports and the broader team.
18. Implement and manage any required change programs or global initiatives identified as supportive to the Environment Australia ISBP and strategy and the global Employee Value Proposition.
19. Participate in Executive Management Meetings at both local and global level.
20. Deputise for the Managing Director in their absence.
Key Knowledge, Experience and Skills
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Science or similar technical field.
• Extensive executive or senior leadership experience (5+ Years).
• Excellent understanding of financial management practices.
• Excellent communication, negotiation, and interpersonal skills with a high level of emotional intelligence, including an ability to build rapport and productive working relationships with staff.
• Excellent problem solving, critical thinking and conceptual/strategic thinking skills to help drive innovation and improve business performance.
• Master of Business Administration
• Previous experience of operating in a science or engineering-based consultancy environment
Please submit your resume including a covering letter highlighting your suitability for the role.
Please email: Mariah.Abad@bmtglobal.com