The Senior Sales Account Manager – Defence (CAN) will be responsible for securing profitable Order Intake, in support of the company strategic plan. Working to the Portfolio Sales Director, the individual will be focussed within our established markets, and be required to develop intimate customer relationships, strengthen our opportunity pipeline, and translate into Order Intake for the Defence (CAN) account. Working closely with our delivery teams, the role will ensure a coordinated approach to the customer and have responsibility for achieving the agreed in year order intake target – through a combination of both contract growth and new business. The focus is primarily on our established customers within the defence maritime market, including the Department of National Defence (DND), and defence industry.
This is an important leadership position in BMT, having the experience to lead cross functional teams in the pursuit of winning business, and bringing the voice of the customer into BMT through their intimate understanding of their customer’s objectives and challenges. This role will also provide the primary day to day contact point for the OU team and OU MD in terms of in year OI performance.
The Senior Sales Account Manager will exemplify the values and behaviour required of a senior leader. Collaboration with internal and external stakeholders and business acumen are key to the success of this role. This role will require someone with a combination of technical and softer skills – how you do things is as important as what you do. The success in this role demands a strong strategic and analytical orientation coupled with exceptional communication skills as well as a highly developed collaborative nature.
- Meeting Order Intake targets for the account, including responsibility for sales forecasting, performance, and accuracy; as well as contributing to budget setting.
- Build and strengthen the sales order pipeline.
- Managing the account overhead budgets, and bids and proposals budget (as appropriate).
- Providing primary day to day contact point for the OU and OU MD.
- Build and maintain strong, long-lasting customer relationships; partnering with customers to understand their business needs and objectives.
- Ensuring a coordinated approach to customer relationship development across the business.
- Lead the capture (and bidding where necessary) of prospects, including the development of win strategy. Lead on partner selection and collaborative relationships with key partners.
- Ensure customer/client feedback is collected and is managed proactively.
- Drive and lead client-focused research to understand evolving client needs and market trends: what clients need now, what they might need in the future, why they buy from us (and why from our competitors).
- Participation and attendance at events, exhibitions and other activities to promote BMT.
Experience and Personal competencies
- Significant experience in a Sales/Business Development position with demonstrable evidence of market growth.
- Minimum of five years’ experience of relevant consulting or professional services business in a Defence environment.
- Strong business acumen and demonstrated ability to negotiate. Ability to influence, and gain commitment. Ability to translate into profitable business decisions in a result driven environment.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills to allow delivery of complex messages which must be easily digestible, unambiguous, engaging, and informative to a range of audiences.
- Outstanding customer relationship skills, and relevant market/customer knowledge – especially the maritime defence market in Canada. Existing and demonstrable current senior level relationships within DND.
- Experience of building appropriate and effective networks.
- Excellent reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrates emotional intelligence through excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to establish positive and effective working relationships with all staff members.
- Adapts to changing business needs, conditions, and work responsibilities.
- Personal drive and appetite to further grow a successful business.
- Secondary degree – preferable in business or engineering.
- Familiarity with Cyber, Training, Digital Services.
- Customers and Partners
- BMT Sales Director – SD&S (line manager)
- SD&S Sales Team (team members)
- Member of Future Business Team incl. Regional Business Development Directors
- OU Managing Directors & Delivery Teams
- Account Teams (PMs managing contracts with customers/clients)
- Other Business Functions (Commercial, Finance, Operations)
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for the position, please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com, following these guidelines:
- “Senior Sales Account Manager - Defence Canada” in the subject line
- A separate cover letter clearly outlining how your education, security clearance level and experience aligns with the requirements of the job. Cover letters submitted in the body of an email will not be considered.
- A resume outlining work experience and education
- Please name all files with your first and last name e.g., Sara Smith Resume.doc and Sara Smith Cover Letter.doc
311 Legget Dr.
Kanata, ON K2K 1Z8
Attn: Human Resources
BMT is committed to employment equity, to eliminating discrimination and encouraging diversity amongst its workforce. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.