Posted 17 weeks ago
Closes on 2 Dec 2020
BMT is a leading international design, engineering, science and risk management consultancy with a reputation for engineering excellence. We're driven by a belief that things can always be better, safer, faster and more efficient.
Purpose of the Role
The Head of Product Management will be responsible for stimulating an environment of innovation and entrepreneurship within BMT. As part of the Future Business Team, the Head of Products will identify, lead and manage investment in R&D, innovation and work with teams across BMT to deliver customer centric products and services that generate revenue and profit for the company and are aligned with our business strategy.
The Head of Products will work closely with the Head of Strategy to ensure that insights and analysis of the markets in which BMT operates in, and may operate in the future, are brought into consideration for R&D, ventures and innovation pipeline development. An advanced knowledge of product development lifecycles and a keen insight into market differentiation will be critical as BMT seeks to grow its return from investment in innovation through the positioning of our products into new markets.
This role will require someone with a combination of commercial, technical and softer skills – how you do things is often as important as what you do. The success in this role demands a strong strategic and analytical orientation coupled with exceptional communication skills as well as a highly developed collaborative nature.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Key responsibilities of the Head of Products include:
- Engender, support and sustain a shared culture of innovation across BMT such that we can maintain our market competitiveness, improve our profitability and growth, maximise our impact, provide a rewarding and creative workplace for our people, and enable meaningful collaboration and exchange of ideas across our networks.
- Introduce a Product Lifecycle Management Framework (PLCM) and associated Product network roles to enable execution of the company’s strategies via new products and innovation actions.
- Manage the R&D/Innovation pipeline and act as Chair of the Innovation Council (or future similar regime). The Innovation Council will be responsible for selecting, funding and approving the execution of innovation activities across BMT within the framework of business strategy and Product Lifecycle Management.
- Represent BMT externally towards customer, venture and innovation stakeholders.
- Communicating strategic trends and innovation priorities within BMT to support the development of detailed business plans within the Portfolios.
In addition to these duties, the post holder may be required to carry out such other duties as may reasonably be required, from time to time, to achieve the above role purpose.
Authority, Accountability and Working Relationships
The role is responsible and accountable to:
- Director of Strategy and Innovation
Required to forge effective working relationships with:
- Business Development Director
- Director of Strategy and Innovation (Line Manager)
- Product Management and Innovation Catalyst Networks
- Current and potential customers
- External stakeholder organisations
- Head of Strategy
- Members of the Future Business Lead Team
- Members of the Senior Leadership Team
- Relevant customer/client organisations
Key Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- Product/Portfolio Lifecycle Management experience
- Commercialisation experience – that is, taking new products to market and achieving product/market fit – at the group of products/services level (i.e. a portfolio)
- Budget management and financial acumen to analyse potential projects/products for their expected contribution
- Excellent communication and presentation skills to allow delivery of complex messages which must be easily digestible, unambiguous, engaging and informative to a range of audiences within BMT.
- Proven track record of being able to quickly influence, energise, lead and motivate others and to build successful teams both within direct line management as well as cross-functional teams.
- Experience of building appropriate and effective local and international networks.
- Excellent reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Leading, coaching and managing employees involved in Innovation activities
- Demonstrates emotional intelligence through excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to establish positive and effective working relationships with all staff members.
- Personal drive and appetite to further grow a successful business.
- Strong business acumen developed through leadership of a Program, Portfolio or Operating Unit.
- Tertiary degree in business, strategy, product development, innovation or equivalent.
- Travel to BMT offices on occasion, which may be overseas, as and when required.
How to apply
To apply, please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org