The role of the Naval Architect is to provide critical inputs into proposals for the Maritime Design business unit (both specialised floating structure projects and mixed floating/fixed structure developments), deliver work autonomously form the Singapore office (carrying out mooring and stability analyses) but at the same time collaborate with over 200 Naval Architects across the BMT organisation. Maritime Design forms one of BMT’s four main capability areas and so this individual will play a key role promoting these technical services across Asia Pacific. Whilst the primary role of the Naval Architect will be to carry out technical work, a self-starter and excellent communicator is desirable. The individual will be well supported within the Singapore office by technical, sales and operations support.
- Conducting naval architecture engineering analyses and calculations including stability calculations, Mooring analyses, Structure design etc.
- Conducting basic and detailed design of floating platforms.
- Provide naval architecture input data (such as ship, general arrangement, ship mooring arrangements etc.) to port and infrastructure teams in Singapore and globally
- Carry out independent design reviews of ships/pontoons.
- Prepare the set up for various desktop navigation simulations.
- Coordinate vessel inspections
- Coordinate crane inspections
- Coordinate the witnessing of construction and inspection.
- Makes judgements and recommendations on technical matters within area of expertise.
- Uses advanced techniques in the modification or extension of theories and practices to complete assignments.
- Adheres to Companies quality, safety and environmental procedures/standards.
- Prepare proposals and participate in negotiations with the potential Clients.
- Manages senior level relationships with clients, championing needs & managing expectations
- Act as Project Manager on a range of projects, managing projects to scope and within time, cost and quality requirements.
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge of relevant software, systems and processes.
- Provides customer/internal training when required
- Source of latest industry trends and issues
- May contribute to, or be the author of, technical papers
- Build and sustain a solid understanding of our services and capabilities
- Seek and build new client relationships to ensure the business has a diverse and resilient client-base
- Intermittent travel within the Asia Pacific region for client facing meetings / opportunities
- Must possess at least Bachelor's Degree/Post Graduate Diploma/Professional Degree in Engineering (Marine/Naval) or equivalent.
- minimum experience of 5 years in design of commercial vessels such as specialist vessels, work barges, floating platforms etc.
- ideal candidate should have relevant experience of working in ship design consultancy or shipyard or Classification Society or as owner’s representative.
- assist in developing concept and Class level design packages using Maxsurf.
- assist in ship design reviews.
- Understanding of ship inspections.\
- Familiar with local and international Codes of Practice, Standards and Guidelines;
- Good technical writing and presentation skills; and
- Good communication skills and a good team member
- Highly organised with strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrates initiative and takes a proactive approach to tasks.
- Flexible, team player.
- Positive attitude towards the work and colleagues
How to apply
Interested applicants may apply directly by emailing a copy of your updated resume indicating your last drawn and expected salary, as well as your reason for leaving directly to email@example.com. We regret to inform that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.