The Business Development Manager (BDM) – Defence leads the development and implementation of BMT’s growth plans for the Defence markets in Canada. Reporting into the Regional Business Development Director, the individual will be required to build a pipeline of high-quality opportunities to meet our ambitious growth targets. Working closely with the Business Development (BD) and Sales teams as well as Operating Units, the role will be responsible for winning new work and contributing to regional (and country) plans to position and grow BMT’s capability and technology within their region.
The BDM - Defence will lead cross functional teams in the pursuit of opportunities to best position BMT to meet our growth targets in new markets. An intimate understanding of customer buyer behaviours in the region will ensure that that we are able to harness BMT’s intellectual property for sustained growth, by providing detailed feedback to our product and delivery teams for capability improvements and act as the voice of the customer.
The BDM – Defence contributes to the long-term Order Intake targets for BMT Canada and provides direct market analysis to understand and develop BMT Canada’s market segmentation. The BDM is focused on the business’s long-term growth to maintain BMT’s expansion into new markets. The BDM is responsible to assist the business to maximize future profit margin through sustainable growth while managing and maintaining a picture of market trends that indicate demand for new products and services.
The BDM - Defence will represent the values and behaviour required of a senior leader. Collaboration with internal and external stakeholders and leading cross-functional teams in the pursuit of BMT wide growth plans are key to the success of this role. This role will require someone with a combination of technical and softer skills – how you do things is as important as what you do. The success in this role demands a strong strategic and analytical orientation coupled with exceptional communication skills as well as a highly developed collaborative nature.
The Business Development Manager - Defence Canada, will have the following responsibilities:
- Strategic market development in the Canadian Defence market
- Accountable to the BD Director Americas (who is the line manager)
- Interface with BMT Canada Operating Unit Managing Director and Business Line Leads and actively contributes to the strategic direction of the Company and development of its business development strategies
- Engagement with senior members of the Department of National Defence (DND) and Canadian Forces to build an understanding of the potential market and customer needs
- Work with other BMT Operating Units to develop a coherent collaborative strategy to support the long-term growth plans for BMT in the Defence sector
- Promote BMT Global Vision, Mission and Values
- Be an active member of the broader BMT Future Business community
Business Development Management
- Identify and qualify Defence long-term opportunities for BMT in Canada
- Lead capture of opportunities and provide guidance to other pursuits both within and outside the region
- Build high level client relationships that are of strategic value in support of BMT’s various market objectives
- Lead research to understand evolving client requirements and market trends to develop and inform strategy focused on clients’ needs
- Identify new business opportunities by analyzing market trends, competitors’ share and customers procurement behaviors to build a pipeline of high-quality opportunities which will underpin sustainable growth for BMT
- Support the development of budgets and appropriate order intake targets
- Support and contribute to the Defence market aspects of BMT’s Canadian long-term order intake pipeline with a focus on accuracy of forecasting
- Interface and collaborate Canadian input into Future Business strategy with BDMs across BMT
- Assist in prosecuting strategic opportunities and major bids and in achieving appropriate positioning with key clients
- Ensuring client feedback is collected, proactively responded to and used to improve the business
- Contribution to product development strategies based on intimate understanding of customer needs and procurement cycles
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in a BD or Sales position with demonstrable evidence of market growth
- Intimate understanding of Defence procurement practices within the Canadian DND and broader awareness of Canadian Defence procedures and priorities
- Strong business acumen and demonstrated ability to translate market trends into profitable business decisions in a result driven environment
- Existing and demonstrable current senior level relationships within DND
- Excellent communication and presentation skills to allow delivery of complex messages which must be easily digestible, clear, engaging and informative to a range of audiences in BMT and externally
- Minimum of five years’ experience of relevant consulting or professional services business in a
- Demonstrated experience in networking with senior leaders in industry and Government
- Knowledge and expertise to formulate and deliver a successful BD and Capture strategy
- Proven track record of being able to quickly influence, energize and motivate others
- Outstanding market knowledge demonstrated through detailed knowledge of client behaviours and procedures as well as market trends across the region
- Experience of building appropriate and effective local and international networks
- Excellent reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Ability to establish positive and effective working relationships with all staff members
- Adapts to changing business needs, conditions, and work responsibilities
- Personal drive and appetite to further grow a successful business
- Possess or the ability to obtain a Canadian Security SECRET Clearance
- Career level 5 on the BMT Global Career Map
Preferred Experience/Asset Qualifications
- University degree in business or engineering
- Bilingual – English/French
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for the position, please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com, following these guidelines:
- “BD-007 - Business Development Manager - Defence Canada” in the subject line
- A separate cover letter clearly outlining how your education, security clearance level and experience aligns with the requirements of the job. Cover letters submitted in the body of an email will not be considered.
- A resume outlining work experience and education
- Please name all files with your first and last name e.g., Sara Smith Resume.doc and Sara Smith Cover Letter.doc
311 Legget Dr.
Kanata, ON K2K 1Z8
Attn: Human Resources
BMT is committed to employment equity, to eliminating discrimination and encouraging diversity amongst its workforce. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.