BMT is seeking CAD Designer / drafter to support naval architect and marine engineering design teams. Designer will have experience using Solidworks, AutoCAD, and ShipConstructor to model and produce production packages for boat and ship building projects. Tasking will range from the development of mechanical system drawings from conceptual ship drawings to developing detail and production design drawings and updating as-built drawings. ShipConstructor work will involve modeling piping and HVAC systems in a 3D environment based on schematic drawings and then creating spool assembly drawings and bills of material. Designers are expected to prepare production-ready drawings, perform quality assurance reviews and maintain document library.
Work Location: Arlington, VA
Qualified candidates must be US citizen with the ability to obtain DOD security clearance. Company will not sponsor a work visa or relocation for this position.
- High School Diploma and minimum 5 years’ experience. Assoicates Degree or Technical School Diploma preferred
- Minimum 5 years’ experience creating / modifying marine mechanical or electrical detail and production design ship drawings using AutoCAD and ShipConstructor
- Minimum 3 years’ experience reviewing and applying established specifications and basic engineering and design principles to verify accuracy and completeness of finished drawings with attention to detail and quality
- Minimum 2 years experience maintaining drawing documentation files and library
- Ability to “design for production” resulting in piping arrangement and detail drawings that can be economically produced using normal, current shipbuilding practices.
- Familiarity with all types of marine piping system materials and fabrication/ joint methods
- Experience preparing drawings using ANSI standards and normal ship design and shipbuilding practices. Knowledge of commercial, USN, and USCG drawing standards and templates helpful.
- Experience preparing mechanical systems drawings such as system diagrams and schematics.
- Shipyard experience preferred
- Experience working in the USCG/DoD marine market is a plus.
- Ability to learn new 2D and 3D CAD skills and design standards and apply them directly to current projects
- Ability to create marine system and outfitting drawings based on experience with limited guidance from a design manager
- Familiar with Microsoft Outlook, MS Word and MS Excel
- Demonstrated ability to proactively investigate and resolve technical design problems
- Strong listening, verbal and written communication skills that facilitate ability to reach out, ask questions, and complete tasks
- Demonstrated proficiency in completing detail-oriented tasks on time working independently and with multidisciplinary team meeting delivery deadlines, occasionally in stressful situations
- Physically able to conduct ship checks including being in confined spaces, climbing ladders, and lifting up to 20 pounds, in both cold and hot environments
- Proven ability and commitment to provide high caliber customer support to include anticipating and understanding needs, managing expectations, and communicating results and/or challenges
- Confident action oriented, self-starter with a sense of integrity and desire to actively contribute to building and expanding consultancy services
How to apply
BMT is committed to attracting, training and retaining a diverse professional staff and offering competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package. Interested applicants must submit resume and complete application, questionnaire and surveys at
https://jobs.localjobnetwork.com/j/37861405. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce. BMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer & Affirmative Action Employer of M/F/Veterans/Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
DAS USA – BMT Designers & Planners Inc
2900 South Quincy Street, Suite 210
Arlington, VA 22206
+1 703 920 7070