The post holder is responsible for the Data & Digital Products business line of the company. The post holder will be responsible for driving the business unit forward. This progression should be grounded in our core market sectors and complimented through expansion that aligns with the capabilities of the wider BMT Group and externally focused innovation programmes.
The post holder will also work with the senior leadership team within the Americas to ensure the timely, high quality, and efficient delivery of all data output activities, acting as a key interface to the external and internal clients. The role will also contribute to commercial proposals and support the professional development of the data and digital products staff.
- Demonstrate the ability to see the big commercial picture and propose actions for technical and organizational improvements within Data & Digital Products business, as well throughout other business units, as necessary.
- Seek out and deliver commercial opportunities to utilize the department skills, working in conjunction with the Data & Digital Products sales team and data product developers; writing proposals (including costing) and acting as technical support to sales and marketing as required.
- Enforce BMT’s technical/quality values; ensuring they are properly monitored and delivered.
- Provide input for long range planning support for budgets, staffing, capital purchases and initiatives.
- Assist Critical Infrastructure Partnership, President (Americas) in preparing the overall company Risk Register and the Strategic management materials on a monthly and quarterly basis.
- Duties will include, but not be limited to:
- Propose and implement a Data Analytics Products team structure which best supports delivery of the contracted commitments of the company.
- Balances technical nuances across domains of data, math/stats, machine learning and software and connects them to business context and value.
- Plans, manages and coordinates the business process changes needed to bring about the business value.
- Manage the activities of the Data & Digital Products team to deliver solutions in line with contracted commitments of the other business lines as well as their own data based projects.
- Establish and implement reporting systems and KPI’s which monitor with appropriate frequency and rigor the departmental performance of each project and analyst, and the overall commercial situation of the department.
- Responsible for the financial performance and reporting for the contracts within the Data Analytics Products business unit.
- Plan and manage resources and help forecast short, medium and long term labor requirements within the group and in coordination with other business unit leaders.
- Establish and implement quality control procedures and processes to ensure efficiency, minimize work related risks and maintain expected profitability of the Data & Digital Products business line. All procedures will be implemented and managed under the company’s QMS including the continuous improvement process of the group processes and procedures.
- Recruit and retain high quality data scientists and analyst, implementing appropriate training programs to improve the skills and ensure performance, in support of both the company and individual personal goals of team.
- Coach, mentor and guide Data & Digital Products staff members.
- Encourage innovation and nurture passion and curiosity to work related activities.
- Nurture an environment where results and professionalism are valued within a happy, motivated, high performance group.
- Recommend and participate in creation and presentation of technical papers, articles and marketing brochures in support of the commercial and technical aims of the Data & Digital Products business unit.
- This is a key leadership position within the company business unit, with a highly visible and influential impact on the performance of the people and the Company at large.
Essential for this role:
- Master’s or Ph.D qualification in suitable subject area such as Data Science, Analytics, Physics (mechanics & motion), compatible Engineering discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Demonstrated familiarity and experience with data science tools and techniques: Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Statistical Learning, Python, Scala, MATLAB, Apache Spark, etc.
- Must provide current proof of eligibility to work in the US
- Must be able and willing to travel both domestically and internationally between BMT and client offices up to twenty five percent (25%) of the time, averaged over an annual time frame.
- Must be able and willing to work independently or in a team environment; with ability to work effectively with diverse groups of people including engineering, scientific, and marine operations staff is essential, and across multiple time zones
- Management experience within a data driven work. Experience with staff supervision, including experience with regular progress reviews and plans for improvement.
- A track record of data analysis in a professional environment and experience that translates to multiple markets and areas of business.
- Demonstrated commercial acumen, an ability to spot and execute against opportunities to increase profit and revenue
- Demonstrated expertise required in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
Desirable for this role:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and must be detailed oriented
- Ability to effectively engage in, and complete, multiple projects at one time
- Proven leadership ability with well-developed personnel management skills
- Experience with analytical and strategic planning, with ability to plan, organize, execute and report on ideas and results is preferred.
- Ability to effectively engage in, and complete, multiple projects at one time.
- Provide mentorship to incoming or existing staff.
- Must exhibit exemplary leadership qualities, including communication, confidence and commitment
- Good commercial understanding of the impact of department performance on business profitability
- Successfully managed data scientists, analysts and software developers within an ocean engineering consulting company
- Experience in contemporary data and analytics delivery products
- Travel as required to other BMT offices
- Attendance to required meeting in US or Europe as needed
- Roles reports to Managing Director / President, Critical Infrastructure, USA
How to apply
With CV and covering letter to email@example.com