BMT is seeking a Design and Modeling Group Manager responsible for managing, recruiting and developing a team of 20 design professionals. The Design team drafts, designs and models, concept & preliminary designs, and verifies & checks detail and production designs for a variety of large and small, commercial and military marine projects. Design & Modeling Manager will work in a collaborative environment with multidisciplinary internal teams, across BMT operating units, prime contractors, vendors and stakeholders to deliver accurate high-quality products and services on schedule and budget and meet customer SOW requirements. Position reports directly to the DES VP Engineering. Some projects may be classified.
- Leads team in the project execution to accomplish project commitments and timing
- Establishes appropriate metrics for measuring key project criteria
- Functions as a team lead for projects including acting as the liaison to internal departments, prime contractors, subcontractors and vendors as needed
- Manages large and often multiple projects and participates in corporate initiatives to assist in meeting the company strategic and financial objectives
- Responsible for quality review and delivery of design and modeling projects, on time, within budget and to agreed specifications and providing effective, skilled project management to help reduce the costs of delivering projects
- Ensures that design deliverables are accurate, error-free, and producible engineering drawings
- Ensures that project deliverables satisfy customer requirements
- Manages and enhances project quality by providing ideas and suggestions to the team Assesses SOW and project requirements, provide labor estimates, develop schedule and resource plans to execute and deliver project.
- Facilitates the creation of communication plans, ensuring that appropriate information is exchanged among key stakeholders, and conducts status review meetings among project team members and clients
- aimed at improving the effectiveness of their role, and of the project activities in general
- Determines, monitors and reviews costs, schedules and staffing requirements for project teams
- Recruits, manages, mentors design and modeling staff and promotes performance evaluations and learning and development initiatives
- Delivers monthly project status reports
- Supports BMT initiatives to increase growth, decrease risk, ensure quality and BMT Ethics, Health & Safety, Diversity & Inclusion and Human Resource policies
Work Location: Work from Home (Arlington, VA Preferred)
Travel : 10-15% of total time, and of short-term (one week) duration per trip
Applicants must be U.S. citizens with the ability to obtain a DoD security clearance. Company will not sponsor a work visa or relocation for this position.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar field plus 10 years of detail design and production modeling experience managing commercial and government design projects working in consulting firms and shipyards or High School diploma and 20 years of detail design and production modeling experience working in commercial design consulting firms and shipyards in lieu of degree required.
- Minimum 10 years hands-on ship detail design and modeling experience using AutoCAD and ShipContructor applying shipbuilding engineering fundamentals including structures, outfitting, materials and analysis required
- Certified to check both drawings and models
- Minimum 10 years’ experience successfully managing multidiscipline (structures, mechanical, piping, HVAC) design and modeling teams, communicating and delegating effectively to deliver quality vessel new build and modification detail design production packages to shipyards and resolving technical issues required
- Minimum 5 years leading and managing multiple projects including technical design, staffing resources, schedules, budgets, design verification and quality and customer expectations simultaneously
- Experience evaluating and improving design and modeling software, tools, process and procedures to improve efficiency and quality of design products and services
- Design for Manufacturability (DFM) experience and composites design and manufacture experience desired
- Working knowledge of ABS and Navy engineering drafting standards
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills required
- AutoCAD and ShipConstructor modeling, drafting and release proficiency
- Proven ability and commitment to provide high caliber customer support to include understanding needs, managing expectations and communicating results and/or challenges
- Committed to actively contributing to individual and team growth
- Dependable, confident action oriented, self-starter with a sense of integrity and actively contribute to building and expanding consultancy services
How to apply
BMT is committed to attracting, training and retaining a diverse professional staff and offering competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package. Interested applicants must submit resume and complete application, questionnaire and surveys at https://jobs.localjobnetwork.com/j/57583298. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce. BMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer & Affirmative Action Employer of M/F/Veterans/Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
DAS USA – BMT Designers & Planners Inc
2900 South Quincy Street, Suite 210
Arlington, VA 22206