BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. is seeking a full time Human Factors Engineer (HFE) with technical design, evaluation, analysis, and project management experience to provide Human Systems Integration (HSI) and program support services to Department of Defense (DOD), and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) programs. Superb written and oral communication and presentation skills as well as the ability to quickly and fully integrate with a multidisciplinary team are a must, and equally as important as technical expertise. The HFE must be a proactive, self-starter committed to providing high caliber customer support including anticipating and understanding project and stakeholder requirements and needs, managing expectations and communicating results and/or challenges. Responsibilities will include:
- HFE Program Support: Reviewing and/or deriving HFE/HSI requirements, integrating HFE into system design activities at the program level by reviewing contractor plans, reports, and other products. Providing hands-on technical HFE support by performing HFE reviews of designs, prototypes and as-built production systems; and performing HFE analyses to ensure that user requirements and HFE and safety best practices are incorporated into system design.
- Special Project Support: Providing HFE expertise to a diverse set of U.S. and foreign clients. This includes performing reviews of design concepts for HFE issues, defining design assessment methods for others to apply, performing ergonomic assessments, and conducting HFE workshops.
- HFE/HSI Business Development: Network, provide potential new business leads, technical proposal writing and assisting in the shaping and implementation of the HFE/HSI business strategy
Work Location: Washington, DC with Work from Home
Applicants must be a US citizen and must have the ability to obtain a security clearance if required. Company will not provide relocation for this position
- Master’s Degree in HFE or related field required. Official transcript may be requested.
- Minimum 3 years’ hands-on experience in applying HFE or HSI to the design and evaluation of complex systems, collecting and analyzing experimental data and providing technical recommendations to DoD, DHS, FAA or other federal government multidisciplinary teams is required.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in 3 of the following 5 areas of HFE application is preferred: HFE program development; HSI requirements development; field data collection through observation; experience applying industry standards to the design of systems; and experience with design methods such as task analysis and drawing reviews
- Minimum 3 years’ experience writing technical papers, reports and presentations to support project recommendations and influence decisions is required.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience quickly and successfully understanding and identifying project needs, establishing positive working relationships with program points of contact, championing complex and cross-organizational initiatives and developing cooperative relationships with program managers, technical staff and other HFE stakeholders is required
- Familiarity with the application of military standards (such as MIL-STL-1472, MIL-STD-1474, MIL-STD-1787, MIL-STD-3009, MIL-STD 411F, and JSSG-2010) in HFE design practice preferred
- Experience in formal program documentation of the HFE processes and products in a format consistent with US Military Data Item Descriptions (e.g. Human Engineering Program Plan, Human Engineering Design Approach Document – Operator, Human Engineering Test Plan, Human Engineering Test Report) preferred
- Project management experience is highly desirable
- Experience providing HSI expertise and management support for maritime system design and acquisition programs preferred
- Strong clear and concise verbal and written communication and presentation skills that facilitate work with multidisciplinary teams to influence design is required.
- Proven Advanced MS Office Word, PowerPoint and Excel skills required. MS Project experience helpful
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal oversight required
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to independently investigate, collaborate and resolve technical issues required
- Ability to learn new skills and apply them directly to current work required
- Ability to successfully manage time constraints and complete detail-oriented tasks on time required
- If required, must be able to conduct ship checks on large and small vessels and physically able to investigate confined ship spaces, climb narrow ship ladders, and lift and push up to 20 pounds
- Dependable, self-starter, proactive professional actively interested in contributing to individual growth and building HFE/HSI consultancy services.
How to apply
BMT is committed to attracting, training and retaining a diverse professional staff and offering competitive wages and a comprehensive benefits package. Interested applicants must submit resume and complete application, questionnaire and surveys at https://jobs.localjobnetwork.com/j/56966323. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce. BMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer & Affirmative Action Employer of M/F/Veterans/Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
DAS USA – BMT Designers & Planners Inc
2900 S Quincy Street, Suite 210
Arlington, VA 22206
+1 703 920 7070