BMT has an immediate opening to start-up our Climate and Environment team in Canada as part of BMT’s growing global climate and environment practice. This exciting, entrepreneurial opportunity will see you engaging and working with key clients in Federal, Provincial, Regional and Local Governments, as well as existing BMT clients in the Defence, Transport and Resources Sectors. The focus of the position will be on the North American market but the candidate will be part of a closely-connected global team of climate change and natural hazard experts, which includes flooding and coastal engineers (as authors of the internationally recognized modelling software TUFLOW www.tuflow.com), climate and environment scientists, and policy professionals who support our clients to build a low-carbon and a resilient world.
The primary role of the Principal Consultant, Climate and Environment will be to conduct professional consulting work. This requires the application of mature climate change resilience and adaptation knowledge in planning and conducting projects having scope for independent accomplishment and coordination of the difficult and responsible assignments. As such, the Principal Consultant, Climate and Environment will act as Project Manager and subject matter expert to deliver successful projects and to build our BMT’s brand reputation for superior quality technical work with a high customer focus.
You will work closely with the Managing Director BMT Canada, the Business Development Director for the Americas and the Global Lead for Climate Risk and Resilience (BMT Group), to support the strategic direction of our climate and environment business in the region to deliver key projects and grow the business.
The Principal Consultant, Climate and Environment will:
- Be a subject matter expert in climate change resilience and adaptation, with strong problem-solving capability.
- Have broader skills and experience in the fields of climate change mitigation, sustainability and/or other relevant environmental consulting disciplines.
- Provide defendable, strategic, and statutory advice to clients across a variety of sectors.
- Support business development, marketing, and sales relevant to the climate and environment market sector in North America by liaising with clients as well as building partnerships with other consulting and academic organizations
- With the assistance of the existing management team in BMT Canada, grow market awareness, capability and market share within North America in the climate and environment market.
- Provide technical advice and mentoring to project teams including both internally and external to BMT.
- Project manage a range of projects with a high degree of oversight and planning, ensuring projects are executed to time and budget constraints and to client satisfaction.
- Perform high quality and professional technical work involving considerable independence in approach, and a high degree of originality, ingenuity, and judgement.
- Serve as a technical specialist in the application of advanced concepts, principles and methods in an assigned area.
- Liaise with clients, potential and current, for the purposes of service delivery, networking and business development.
- Prepare, review and submit proposals / tenders as well as marketing material and methods relevant to the role.
- Supervise and reviews the work of other consultants, drafters, scientists and technicians as necessary to complete assignments.
- Use advanced techniques in the modification or extension of theories and practices to complete assignments.
- Share knowledge and acts as mentor to other staff within area of expertise.
- Adhere to, and actively promotes, quality, safety and environmental procedures/standards.
- Adhere to, and actively promotes, BMT operating standards.
- Project manage a range of projects to scope and within time, cost and quality requirements.
- Manage equipment resources, including advice to management regarding future asset requirements, as relevant to role.
- Demonstrate knowledge of relevant software, systems and processes.
- Contribute to thought leadership activities through their work and by authoring papers, presenting at events, seminars and conferences, and social media posts.
- Undertake other specific tasks including:
- Supporting technical components of climate and environment related projects
- Maintaining technical links with key knowledge providers to ensure BMT approaches remain cutting edge and innovative.
Key Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Science or other relevant area of study.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience post-graduation in a consulting, government or applied research capacity undertaking projects in Canada and/or U.S.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient technical background in climate change resilience and adaptation.
- Experience in climate change mitigation and other aligned sustainability or environment discipline
- Experience working within the Government, Defence, Transport or Resources sector.
- Experience working within a multi-site organization.
- Post-graduate qualifications (e.g. Masters, PhD) in relevant area of study
- Entrepreneurial focus, with the ability to win and do work
- Client focused, strong communicator and commercially aware
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrates initiative and takes a proactive approach to tasks.
- Flexible, team player.
- Willingness for travel inter-province, and internationally, to satisfy the requirements of projects and the position.
What can we offer you?
At BMT we believe in hiring the best talent, from diverse backgrounds, as this introduces new ideas to the team and our customers. We constantly strive to improve our working environment and provide everyone with the tools and applications that they need to do their roles effectively.
The successful candidate will receive a competitive salary commensurate with skill, ability and experience, as well as a comprehensive benefit package including:
- Medical, dental and vision plan (including a Health Care Spending Account)
- Employee and family assistance program
- RRSP matching program
- Flexible work hours and remote work options
- Training and development opportunities
- Employee recognition
- Employee referral program
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for the position, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, following these guidelines:
- “Consultant, Climate & Environment” in the subject line
- A separate cover letter clearly outlining how your education, security clearance level and experience aligns with the requirements of the job. Cover letters submitted in the body of an email will not be considered.
- A resume outlining work experience and education
- Please name all files with your first and last name e.g., Sara Smith Resume.doc and Sara Smith Cover Letter.doc
BMT is committed to employment equity, to eliminating discrimination and encouraging diversity amongst its workforce. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.