BMT is seeking a Vice President, Engineering to lead and manage Design Engineering Services (DES) business line. VP Engineering is a P&L leadership position responsible for executing DES business line strategy, developing, managing, recruiting and leading a technical team that is committed to delivering high quality vessel preliminary and detail design and modification products and services, and support strategic business objectives. VP competencies include: Leadership, Project and Program Management, Business Development, Cost Estimating, Financial Management, Technical Management (Naval Architecture, Marine Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Design and Modeling), Quality & Business Process Improvement, and Scheduling and Resource Allocation. Responsibilities include:
- Delivering the financial objectives of the group while overseeing a broad portfolio of technical projects and supervising a group of department or discipline leads and delivering monthly status reports.
- Serve as the project management authority for the business line guiding projects from initiation through execution to close; ensuring that all project attributes (technical scope, cost, schedule, resources, security, customer satisfaction,) are planned, monitored, and controlled.
- Serve as the principle quality assurance supervisor ensuring process development and efficiency to deliver quality products and services on time and within budget to the compliant with contract requirements.
- Managing overall utilization and professional development of assigned staff. Performs all goal setting and performance related reviews for assigned staff. Initiates staffing changes and makes compensation recommendations for assigned staff.
- Lead complex and cross-organizational initiatives and develop cooperative relationships with project managers, execution leads and client stakeholders. Create a team culture around technical capabilities, business priorities, and business processes that will exceed client expectations and lead to new business opportunities
- Support the business development (BD) team to capture DES business development opportunities to include new business as well as re-competes and supporting relationships with existing clients. Work with multiple BD managers and participate in and / or lead proposal development, draft technical responses, and develop competitive cost estimates, project management plans and schedules aligned with SOW and financial objectives
- Oversee execution and delivery of DES program management and project management. Ensure project management plans and schedules are implemented and adhered to, review resourcing plans to ensure effective and efficient utilization of personnel and recruitment of new staff
- Delivering monthly program and project status reports.
- Support BMT initiatives to increase growth, decrease risk, ensure quality and BMT Ethics, Health & Safety, Diversity & Inclusion and Human Resource policies
Work Locations: Work from Home
Applicants must be U.S. citizens with the ability to obtain a DoD security clearance. Company will not sponsor a work visa or relocation for this position.
- Master’s Degree in related technical field or Bachelor’s Degree in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, Ocean Engineering, or related field and 15 years’ experience required
- Current Professional Engineering License preferred
- Minimum 20 years’ experience in DoD and commercial marine engineering industry developing an exceptional technical knowledge of all stages of ship design (concept, preliminary and detail/production design); experience in a leadership position within an engineering design firm or engineering organization within a shipyard required
- Minimum 10 years’ experience successfully managing, developing and retaining a diverse multidisciplinary team through hiring, mentoring and training to meet the short-term and long-term strategic business objectives.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience leading successful business development teams. In this capacity, define statement of work, identify technical talent, prepare cost estimates, obtain competitive intelligence, and prepare and deliver accurate and comprehensive proposals
- Minimum 10 years’ experience reviewing technical reports and designs for accuracy and overall quality resulting in the delivery of high quality final products and services
- 5-10 years’ experience as a naval architect project engineer creating new vessel and modification designs, including ship structures design/analysis, hull form development, arrangements, stability, powering, or seakeeping analysis is required
- Minimum 5 years’ experience investigating and resolving technical design and project issues including changes to scope of work, delivery time tables and resources
- Minimum 3 years’ experience managing naval architecture / marine engineering commercial and/or government design projects including producing ship construction or modification work packages, assign and manage the work of engineering and design staff, and track deliverables and budget is required
- Expertise in Finite Element Analysis, first principles structural analysis and rule-based structural engineering is highly desirable
- Experience with finite element analysis and software packages such as ANSYS, MAESTRO, or NASTRAN/FEMAP is highly desirable
- Proficiency using AutoCAD and experience required
- Experience using 3D CAD (Rhino, Solidworks, etc.) desirable
- Experience with hydrostatics and resistance/propulsion calculations using software packages such as GHS, ORCA 3D, SHCP, or NavCad, is desirable
- Knowledge and experience researching and applying ABS Rules, CFR requirements, and military and/or commercial technical standards required
- Shipyard experience preferred
- Confident and clear verbal communication skills are required to successfully listen, reach out, ask questions and work with multidisciplinary teams to facilitate consensus and complete tasks
- Excellent organizational skills to complete multiple and sometimes complex detail-oriented projects and tasks on time
- Ability to learn new engineering software packages and design standards and integrate them directly into current projects is required
- Physically able to conduct ship checks including being in confined spaces, climbing narrow ladders, and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Advanced experience and knowledge of MS Word and Excel required. Experience with MS Project desirable
- Proven ability and commitment to provide high caliber customer support to include understanding needs, managing expectations and communicating results and/or challenges
- Committed to actively contributing to individual and team growth
- Dependable, confident action oriented, self-starter with a sense of integrity and actively contribute to building and expanding consultancy services
How to apply
BMT is committed to attracting, training and retaining a diverse professional staff and offering competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package. Interested applicants must submit resume and complete application, questionnaire and surveys at https://jobs.localjobnetwork.com/j/56927350. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce. BMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer & Affirmative Action Employer of M/F/Veterans/Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.