The role of Program Manager, Maritime Engineering Services (MES) is to support the Deputy Director MES in the identification of opportunities, winning work and delivering outcomes to clients to achieve MES objectives.
The incumbent will be expected to support the MES Business Unit (BU), and the broader Design and Engineering Services (DES) Business Line (BL) in achieving their targets through the following activities:
Business Management. The incumbent will be required to support DES business management by:
- Contributing to the development of direction of MES and the identification, and achievement, of associated objectives.
- Positively and actively support the decisions of the MES Deputy Director (DD).
- Provide input to monthly reporting, including financial forecasts, pipeline reviews and project performance reporting.
- Contribute to a culture of operational and technical excellence.
Business Development. The following activities are expected to contribute to the development of business:
- Develop a deep understanding of assigned clients in order to identify opportunities and develop the best course of action to win the work.
- Support the DD by identifying, reviewing and qualifying opportunities within MES and recommend to the DD which RFI/RFPs/RFQs should be pursued.
- Assist the DD to maintain the Design and Engineering Services (DES) Pipeline Tool through solicitation and consolidation for MES inputs.
- Act as the opportunity Lead for specific opportunities within MES as assigned by the DD, including the development of bids, and capture plans where appropriate.
Project Management. The position holder will be responsible for the management of assigned projects within MES, including:
- Act as the Project Manager (PM) for key projects within MES.
- Cooperate with other PMs to optimize staff utilization across DES.
- Monitor and report on performance against the agreed plan/baseline.
- Identify and execute risk mitigation strategies.
- Provide oversight and support to other MES PgMgrs, and PMs to ensure consistent, effective and disciplined application of PM processes and tools for all MES projects.
- Liaise with PgMgrs within other BUs in DES to ensure consistent approach to PM; achieve deconfliction of resources; and provide general support.
Program Management. The incumbent may be responsible for a group of Projects which make up a program, subject to the scope of work currently in hand. Associated responsibilities include:
- Supervising, co-ordinating and guiding PMs delivering within the Program.
- Overall monitoring of performance within the program including performance to plan and reporting.
- When delegated by the DD, in his absence, stand in for all projects within MES.
Client Management. Client management is an important aspect of this role and associated responsibilities include:
- Act as key client manager for assigned projects.
- Represent clients within the company and the company with clients.
- Proactively interact clients and exceed their expectations. Leverage this performance and develop a thorough understanding of the customer’s needs to establish new work.
Technical Execution. The incumbent will have a utilization target to achieve. This may be achieved through PgMgr and PM activities, or may be achieved through involvement in technical execution. Such technical execution may include:
- Filling the role of Technical Lead, or Technical Assurer, for the delivery of a task.
- Applying specialist knowledge and experience to the development and delivery of engineering solutions.
- Contributing to solution development through the application of knowledge and experience in an adjacent, or related, field.
Maintenance of knowledge. The incumbent is responsible for maintaining and developing professional skills relevant to their position.
In addition to these duties, the post holder may be required to carry out such other duties as may reasonably be required, from time to time, to achieve the above role purpose.
- Permanent, full time
- Kanata, Ontario or Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Some travel may be required to other BMT offices within Canada or overseas
- Some travel may be required to client sites in Canada or overseas
Key Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- An engineering degree or Technical diploma
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Proficient user of the Microsoft 365 suite of products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Task Boards, Teams)
- Proficiency at using Apps within Teams
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Experience managing Projects
- The ability to obtain Canadian security clearance
- Project Management certifications
- Experience in product development
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for the position, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, following these guidelines:
- “Senior Marine Systems Engineer” in the subject line
- A separate cover letter clearly outlining how your education, security clearance level and experience aligns with the requirements of the job. Cover letters submitted in the body of an email will not be considered.
- A resume outlining work experience and education
- Please name all files with your first and last name e.g., Sara Smith Resume.doc and Sara Smith Cover Letter.doc
311 Legget Dr.
Kanata, ON K2K 1Z8
Attn: Human Resources
BMT is committed to employment equity, to eliminating discrimination and encouraging diversity amongst its workforce. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.