BMT is seeking a Naval Architect to work closely with junior and senior engineers to create vessel and vessel system designs and research compliance specifications and technical design issues including, but not limited to, ship’s structures, hydrostatics, hydrodynamics, stability and seakeeping, to report findings and to recommend possible solutions. The BMT Design Engineering Services (DES) team includes teams of naval architects, marine engineers, electrical engineers and multi-disciplined designers, working from home, committed to technical high quality designs and services and enjoy working in a professional and collegial work environment. Naval Architect must enjoy technical ship design and must be self-motivated, organized, able to work independently, resourceful, detail-oriented and interested in developing engineering technical and project management capabilities as well as professional consulting and leadership skills. Professional integrity and attention to quality, including checking own designs and calculations to ensure final products exceed client expectations is expected.
Work Location: Arlington, VA / Tacoma, WA –Potential to Work from Home
Applicants must be U.S. citizens with the ability to obtain a DoD security clearance. Company will not sponsor a work visa or relocation for this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering or related field required
- PE or the ability to obtain PE license within one year preferred
- 5 or more years naval architecture experience identifying, researching and resolving ship design technical issues required
- 5 or more years experience required analyzing and translating design requirements into a consistent ship design
- 2 or more years’ experience supervising junior engineers desirable
- Experience with early-phase total ship design, including fields such as weight estimating, hull form development, power and speed estimating, stability, structures, and seakeeping analysis is required
- Familiarity with government and commercial ship design standards required
- Must have knowledge of ship arrangements and shipboard mechanical systems
- Must have 4 years working experience with AutoCAD and at least 2 years’ working experience with 3D CAD (e.g., Rhino, Solidworks, etc.)
- Working experience with finite element analysis and software packages such as ANSYS, MAESTRO, or NASTRAN/FEMAP is desirable
- Must have 4 or more years’ experience with hydrostatics and resistance/propulsion calculations using software packages such as GHS, ORCA 3D, SHCP, or NavCad
- Experience with seakeeping and/or computational fluid dynamics calculations is desirable
- Experience working on a ship or at a shipyard highly desirable
- Proven ability to effectively engage in multiple detailed projects and complete work on schedule in a fast paced environment required
- Advanced MS Office skills required to perform tasks and write technical reports
- Physically able to conduct ship checks, including being in confined spaces, climbing narrow ladders, and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Confident communication skills are required to successfully listen, reach out, ask questions and work with multidisciplinary teams to facilitate consensus and complete tasks
- Ability to learn new skills and apply them directly to current work is a MUST
- Dependable, motivated, action oriented, self-starter with a sense of integrity and actively committed to contributing to individual and team growth
How to apply
BMT is committed to attracting, training and retaining a diverse professional staff and offering competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package. Interested applicants must submit resume and complete application, questionnaire and surveys at https://jobs.localjobnetwork.com/j/49577751. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce. BMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer & Affirmative Action Employer of M/F/Veterans/Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.