Southampton - United Kingdom
UK Commercial Shipping (Specialised Ship Design) Team
Posted 5 weeks ago
Purpose of the Role:
An experienced engineer, providing a skilled contribution to the design work for assigned projects within the company, whilst also working to maintain the technical requirements and the standard of deliverables required within our Structural Engineering discipline.
Using your experience to provide support and guidance to colleagues across all disciplines and, where appropriate, for the coordination and technical supervision of colleagues working within your discipline on a project by project basis.
Taking on an active coordination and/or team leadership role when required, overseeing assigned projects across all disciplines, whilst also maintaining the primary role. Undertaking a wide range of checking functions for engineering design calculations and drawing work carried out by other engineers within the company.
Skills and Experience Required:
· Self-motivation and time management to meet agreed targets and deliverables deadlines.
· Personal time planning, including feedback to support in the definition of resource requirements, time budgets and deliverables deadlines.
· Commercial awareness, with the ability to ensure that works are being carried out and completed to an appropriate standard and level of detail, measured against the contracted deliverables and tracked against the agreed budget.
· Proven communication skills, with experience of liaison and reporting and the ability to lead a project team for the structural development and draughting of a design.
· Proven experience of taking responsibility for engineering design calculations and for answering technical queries, with a solid understanding of the fundamentals of structural design theory.
· A sound working knowledge of ship rules and regulations.
· Detailed understanding of LY3/PYC, LR Ship Rules and SSC is an advantage.
· Full European driving licence and passport.
· On site works, both in the UK and with the potential for occasional travel and site attendance within Northern Europe. Further International Travel as required on a project by project basis.
· A flexible approach to working hours and the ability to respond to peaks of workload within a project.
· Experienced skill level in 2D CAD (AutoCAD) and basic skills in 3D CAD (Rhino) to develop and review design information.
· Experienced skill level in MS Office to develop reports, spreadsheet data and presentation information.
· Familiarity with MathCAD calculation software and Strand7 FEA software is an advantage.
· Experience of shipyard construction and detailing for production is an advantage.
· Experience of specialist vessels, including small craft and luxury yachts may also be relevant to the role.
Please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org