BMT is seeking a Naval Architect Marine Engineer (NAME) II to work closely with senior professional engineers to create vessel and vessel system designs and research compliance specifications and technical design issues including but not limited to ship structures, electrical, mechanical, propulsion and navigation systems, report findings and provide recommend possible solutions. Applicants must enjoy ship design and must be self-motivated, organized, resourceful, detail-oriented and interested in developing engineering technical and project management capabilities as well as professional consulting and leadership skills. Professional integrity and attention to quality including checking own designs and calculations to ensure final products exceed client expectations is expected.
Work Location: Temporary Work from Home - Required to work at Arlington, VA or Tacoma, WA office
Applicants must be U.S. citizens with the ability to obtain a DoD security clearance. Company will not sponsor a work visa or relocation for this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering or related field required
- EIT preferred
- 3-5 years’ naval architecture marine engineering experience identifying, researching and resolving ship design technical issues required
- 3-5 years’ experience analyzing and translating design requirements into a consistent ship design
- Knowledge of early-phase total ship design including fields such as weight estimating, hull form development, power and speed estimating, stability, structures, and seakeeping analysis is preferred. Additional knowledge of design of shipboard fluid systems, propulsion, machinery arrangement, auxiliary systems, control and monitoring and/or HVAC systems is also preferred.
- Must have 3 years’ working experience with AutoCAD and some experience with 3D CAD (e.g., Rhino, Solidworks, etc.)
- 3 years’ experience with finite element analysis and software packages such as ANSYS, MAESTRO, or NASTRAN/FEMAP is desirable
- 3 years’ experience with hydrostatics and resistance/propulsion calculations using software packages such as GHS, ORCA 3D, SHCP, or NavCad, is highly desirable
- Experience with seakeeping and/or computational fluid dynamics calculations is desirable
- Familiarity with government and commercial ship design standards required
- Must have knowledge of shipboard mechanical systems. Experience working on ship or at shipyard highly desirable
- Proven ability to effectively engage in multiple detailed projects and complete work on schedule in a fast paced environment required
- Advanced MS Office skills required to perform tasks and write technical reports
- Physically able to conduct ship checks including being in confined spaces, climbing narrow ladders, and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Confident communication skills are required to successfully listen, reach out, ask questions and work with multidisciplinary teams to facilitate consensus and complete tasks
- Ability to learn new skills and apply them directly to current work is a MUST
- Dependable, motivated, action oriented, self-starter with a sense of integrity and actively committed to contributing to individual and team growth
How to apply
BMT is committed to attracting, training and retaining a diverse professional staff and offering competitive wages and a comprehensive benefits package. Interested applicants must submit resume and complete application, questionnaire and surveys at https://jobs.localjobnetwork.com/j/43254942. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce. BMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer & Affirmative Action Employer of M/F/Veterans/Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
DAS USA – BMT Designers & Planners Inc
2900 S Quincy Street, Suite 210
Arlington, VA 22206
+1 703 920 7070