The Marine Systems Engineering team at BMT Canada Ltd. help customers solve their engineering problems through analysis and technical design. Working in our offices and at client facilities both on and off the water, our Marine Systems Engineers help owners and operators maintain safe, operational vessels that meet their requirements for shipping, defence, tourism and transportation.
Your role will involve helping our customers achieve their goals by understanding their challenges and undertaking engineering analysis to design solutions to their problems, both big and small. Learn more about the solutions we are providing to customers at https://www.bmt.org/sectors/. Your level and responsibilities will be commensurate with your experience and abilities.
A Principal Marine Systems Engineer at BMT Canada has the following responsibilities:
- Provide Marine Systems Engineering advice and support to internal and external customers;
- Provide engineering support through engineering calculations (fuel consumption, HVAC, piping flow) in support of ship design, including for new designs or updates to existing designs. It includes knowledge and application of regulations and standards applicable to marine and Naval systems design;
- Lead a design team in the engineering of marine systems solutions for ships, including implementation of new systems or updates to existing system designs;
- Mentor and guide junior and intermediate staff on fundamental marine engineering analysis;
- Undertake engineering activities in a way that contributes to best practice and complies with the relevant codes and standards; and
- Identify new opportunities to realize value – with existing and new customers.
- Be someone who wants to make a difference;
- Degree in marine or mechanical engineering;
- Registered, or are eligible to register as, a Professional Engineer with the appropriate provincial engineering body;
- Have strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to prepare well-crafted engineering reports and specifications, and the ability to review and interpret engineering drawings;
- Possess a minimum of 10 years of demonstrated experience in marine systems engineering within the last 15 years;
- Have excellent interpersonal and team building skills; and
- Level II (Secret) Security Clearance or the ability to obtain.
Preferred Experience / Asset Qualifications
- Practical application of marine systems engineering theory in a commercial/government environment;
- Knowledge and experience of ship operations;
- Submarine knowledge and experience;
- Working knowledge of one or more Canadian Government agencies such as the Department of National Defence or Canadian Coast Guard;
- Knowledge of Canadian and International (Government and Defence) Standards and practices;
- Knowledge of international standards; and
- Project Management experience.
How to apply
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for the position, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, following these guidelines:
- “MS-020 Principal Marine Systems Engineer” in the subject line
- A separate cover letter clearly outlining how your education, security clearance level and experience aligns with the requirements of the job. Cover letters submitted in the body of an email will not be considered.
- A resume outlining work experience and education
- Please name all files with your first and last name e.g., Sara Smith Resume.doc and Sara Smith Cover Letter.doc
or mail to:
311 Legget Dr.
Kanata, ON K2K 1Z8
Attn: Human Resources
BMT is committed to employment equity, to eliminating discrimination and encouraging diversity amongst its workforce. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.