Naval Architectural and Ocean Engineer
The Naval Architectural and Engineering team in Canada helps customers solve their engineering problems through analysis and technical design. Working in our offices and at client facilities both on and off the water, our Naval Architects and Engineers help owners and operators maintain safe, operational vessels that meet their requirements for shipping, defence, tourism and transportation.
Your role will be to help our customers achieve their goals by understanding their challenges and undertaking engineering analysis of design solutions to their problems, both big and small. Learn more about the solutions we are providing to customers at https://www.bmt.org/sectors/. Your level and responsibilities will be commensurate with your experience and abilities, and you will receive guidance from our team as you advance along your career.
A Senior Naval Architect at BMT in Canada has the following responsibilities:
- Provide Naval Architectural and Ocean Engineering advice and support to internal and external customers;
- Undertake fundamental technical naval architectural analysis on ship hydrostatics and hydrodynamics, ship structures, and vessel arrangements as a project team member;
- Undertake Technical Lead roles;
- Mentor and guide junior and intermediate staff on fundamental naval architectural analysis;
- Undertake engineering activities in a way that contributes to best practice and complies with the relevant codes and standards; and
- Identify new opportunities to realize value – with existing and new customers.
- Be someone who wants to make a difference;
- Degree in Naval Architecture or Marine Engineering;
- Registered or are eligible to register as Professional Engineer with the appropriate provincial engineering body;
- Ability to undertake onsite vessel surveys including vertical ladder ascent and descent, accessing confined spaces and heights; and
- Ten years or more experience in the marine industry (designing or maintaining); and
- Level II (Secret) Security Clearance or the ability to obtain.
Preferred Experience / Asset Qualifications
- Practical application of Naval Architectural engineering theory in a commercial/government environment;
- Knowledge and experience of ship operations;
- Submarine knowledge and experience;
- Working knowledge of one or more Canadian Government agencies such as the Department of National Defence or Coast Guard;
- Knowledge of Canadian and International (Government and Defence) Standards and practices;
- Knowledge of international standards;
- Knowledge of IACS members and application of Class standards; and
- Project Management experience.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for the position, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, following these guidelines:
- “NA-021 Senior Naval Architect” in the subject line
- A separate cover letter clearly outlining how your education, security clearance level and experience aligns with the requirements of the job. Cover letters submitted in the body of an email will not be considered.
- A resume outlining work experience and education
- Please name all files with your first and last name e.g., Sara Smith Resume.doc and Sara Smith Cover Letter.doc
311 Legget Dr.
Kanata, ON K2K 1Z8
Attn: Human Resources
BMT is committed to employment equity, to eliminating discrimination and encouraging diversity amongst its workforce. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.