BMT is seeking a naval architect or marine engineer to serve as technical lead / design manager for ship design projects. The position is an engineering supervisor leading multi-disciplinary teams on design projects from concept through shipyard production. Responsibilities may include:
- Oversee development of project technical documents, including calculations, modeling and simulation, drawings, and product models.
- Serve as technical authority representing BMT interfacing with project stakeholders.
- Ensure quality assurance standards and continuous improvement principles are applied to deliver high quality technical products.
- Apply configuration management principles and data management techniques to ensure efficient project workflow.
- Integrate cross-organizational technical resources to deliver complex projects.
- Interface with project management to ensure effective and efficient utilization of project resources and maintain project budgets.
- Cultivate a positive, energetic, solution-oriented environment that supports team members and produces high quality products that meet or exceed customer expectations.
Work Location: Work from Home (Portland, Oregon -or- Arlington, Virginia Preferred)
Travel: 10-15% of total time, and of short-term (1-2 weeks) duration per trip
Applicants must be U.S. citizens with the ability to obtain a DoD security clearance. Company will not sponsor a work visa or relocation for this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, Ocean Engineering, or related field and 10 years’ experience required.
- Professional Engineering License preferred
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in DoD and commercial marine engineering industry with technical knowledge of all stages of ship design (concept, preliminary and detail/production design); experience leading design teams within an engineering design firm required
- Experience in ship design and production organizations preferred
- Experience working onsite in a shipyard preferred
- Minimum 5 years’ experience developing, reviewing, and delivering technical design and production products
- Knowledge and experience researching and applying regulatory and classification standards, including ABS, CFR, and military and/or commercial technical standards required
- Familiarity with other IACS classification standards desirable
- Expertise first principles structural analysis and rule-based structural engineering is required
- Familiarity with finite element analysis uses, methods, and results highly desirable
- Knowledge of naval architecture, marine engineering, and electrical engineering fundamentals required
- Background in quality inspection, assurance preferred
- Proficiency using AutoCAD and experience required
- Experience using ShipConstructor desirable
- Experience using 3D CAD (Rhino, Solidworks, etc.) desirable
- Experience with hydrostatics and resistance/propulsion calculations using software packages such as GHS, ORCA 3D, SHCP, or NavCad, is desirable
- Confident and clear verbal communication skills are required to successfully listen, reach out, ask questions and work with multidisciplinary teams to facilitate consensus and complete tasks
- Excellent organizational skills to complete multiple and sometimes complex detail-oriented projects and tasks on time
- Ability to learn new engineering software packages and design standards and integrate them directly into current projects is required
- Physically able to conduct ship checks including being in confined spaces, climbing narrow ladders, and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Advanced experience and knowledge of MS Word and Excel required
- Dependable, confident action oriented, self-starter with a sense of integrity and actively contribute to building and expanding consultancy services
How to apply
BMT is committed to attracting, training and retaining a diverse professional staff and offering competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package. Interested applicants must submit resume and complete application, questionnaire and surveys at https://jobs.localjobnetwork.com/j/58393034. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce. BMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer & Affirmative Action Employer of M/F/Veterans/Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
DAS USA – BMT Designers & Planners Inc
2900 South Quincy Street, Suite 210
Arlington, VA 22206