Explore more options with greater accuracy at lower cost
We are the creators of the code for BMT Proteus which gives us - and you - three distinct advantages
No project is just a 'one model run', but what are the advantages of being able to run multiple scenarios, and do so faster at lower cost?
- Increase the number of options you can to identify the optimum approach to gaining approval whilst controlling costs.
- Convey greater diligence to the regulator
Licenced modelling software is at best time-consuming or at worst impossible to adapt to the precise nature of your structure and its environment. Having developed BMT Proteus in-house, we have an intimate knowledge of the code and direct access to the equations to model different scenarios?
- Gain greater accuracy – and so greater predictability of cost – from our ability to adapt a wide range of parameters to match your structure and environment.
Consultants using third-party are forced to reflect those expensive licenses in their fees. As creators and owners of BMT Proteus, we have no licence fees to pass on.
The experience factor
As a specialist environmental consultancy supporting offshore oil and gas operators for more than 30 years, we have built up a significant knowledge bank around the ‘what’, ‘who’, ‘where’ and ‘how’ of satisfying regulators. We use that experience to take a holistic view of operations and decommissioning.
Modelling may recommend that a decommission project, for example, leave the jacket fittings in place. The value of experience, however, lies in balancing the technical findings with issues such as objections to loss of fishing areas leaving those fittings may incur.
Presenting a powerful case
A powerful report must combine technical integrity with good communication skills. Our submissions are all each quality checked against our experience of the particular hydrodynamic regime, sediment type and structure size, underwriting their technical integrity. It is, however, our experience with the regulator that allows us to get the communication as well as the science right.
- Our familiarity with the preferences of different regulators informs the structure of all of our communications.
- Our preferred approach – and that of many regulators – is for up-front communication to agree in advance the focus of a submission.
- We are practised in presenting face-to-face, via phone and in written submissions.
- Each submission is reviewed by a senior for readability.
- Our reports contain clear, actionable recommendations.
Gain greater credibility
BMT Proteus has been trialled and approved by the UK Government's Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy committee (formerly DECC UK). Along with the reputation of BMT’s consultants with the regulators, this approval acts as powerful endorsement of your submission.