A multidisciplinary team with expertise in virtual/augmented reality, immersion, serious gaming, crowd and incident simulations, command and control, critical communications management and critical infrastructure protection, counter terrorism, emergency response, security and training will design and develop a new automated game scenario engine for training in scalable VR and MR environments involving single- or multi-players at home, office and/or on-site.
The platform will be designed to actively engage participants in interactive training sessions based on non-linear, adaptive scenarios supporting multiple outcomes. In addition, AUGGMED scenarios will be driven by effective simulations of CI environments, telecommunication capabilities, types of threat and agent behaviour (e.g., police, first responders, crowd and intruder) resulting in highly realistic consequences without real-life implications (safe failure). The platform will use the Unity3D engine to generate the VR environments and agents making it compatible with mainstream Sector tools and technologies.
The AUGGMED platform will be designed to address the learning objectives of the trainees including acquisition of problem solving, analytical and decision making skills. For that reason, the AUGGMED platform will incorporate tools that will enable trainers to set learning objectives, define their own scenarios, monitor training session, intervene in real-time to modify scenario and/or provide feedback, as well as evaluate trainees’ performance.
AUGGMED will include modes which will allow first responders to actively participate in training sessions using VR or MR environment with different levels of immersion and engagement. These modes will be suitable for both single- and cooperative team-based training. In addition, trainees can be in the same or different physical location.
- Mode 1 - Basic Mode (Basic VR)
- Training anywhere using PC and/or portable devices with limited interactivity (e.g., no mobility or tactile feedback). Trainees can be in the same or different physical location. Trainees can interact with virtual and real agents (with avatar) who join the training session remotely.
- Mode 2 - Intermediate Mode (Immersive Multimodal VR)
- Training anywhere using immersive VR (e.g., HMD with limited mobility and tactile feedback). Trainees can be in the same or different physical location. Trainees can interact with virtual agents and avatars of real agents who join the training session remotely.
- Training On-Site using projection based immersive VR (limited mobility and tactile feedback). Trainees can interact with virtual and real agents (with avatar) who join the training session remotely.
- Mode 3 - Full Mode (Immersive Multimodal MR On-Site)
- Training On-Site using immersive MR (full mobility and advanced tactile feedback). Trainees can interact with simulated avatars as well as avatars controlled by other trainees who join the training session remotely.
This will result in highly realistic training scenarios allowing advanced interactivity while encouraging security staff and first responders to engage and actively participate in the training process. In addition, the AUGGMED platform will include tools for trainers enabling them to set learning objectives, define scenarios, monitor training sessions, modify scenarios and provide feedback in real-time, as well as evaluate trainee performance and set training curricula for individual personnel in the post-training session phase. Finally, the platform will be offered in affordable and cost-effective Modes including Basic Mode (low VR fidelity and interactivity through mobile devices), Intermediate Mode (immersive multimodal VR) and Full Mode (immersive multimodal MR On-Site).
Find Out More
Visit the project website to read more about the project, the project aims and also the project partners.Visit the website
For general enquiries relating to AUGGMED, please contact Jenny Rainbird
BMT Group Ltd