BMT was commissioned to undertake the Hazard and Operability (HAZOP) and Safety Integrity Level (SIL) Classification studies for the Boil-Off Gas (BOG) Compressor and Blower Packages of the Project as part of the Hazard Review Process during the EPC phase.
The study aimed at providing the following services to the client:
- To identify potential hazards, operability and maintainability problems
- To identify possible consequence resulting from the hazard
- To examine safeguards, to develop recommendations and to record the HAZOP results
- To rate and classify the importance of each Safety Instrumented Functions (SIFs) in the Package
BMT’s role was to lead the HAZOP and SIL Classification study meetings and produce a detailed report. We facilitated a four-day meeting with representatives from the customer company, EPC contractors and the project management company to study the plant design in a node by node basis.
The session identified potential hazards and rated the consequences of the hazards based on the client’s company standard. Recommendations aiming at remediating the hazards were also provided.
Outcome and Benefits
- Potential hazards, operability and maintainability problems were identified and recorded.
- Mitigation measures were recommended for the detail design, addresses the all the identified problems.
- A HAZOP & SIL report with detailed rationale and tracking methods was presented to clients to ensure follow-up action.
For general enquiries relating to HAZOP and SIL Studies for New Furnaces and Ethylene Tank Project in Qatar, please contact Dr. Sukhy Barhey
Dr. Sukhy Barhey
BMT Asia Pacific