UK MoD Defence Equipment and Support In-Service Submarines (ISM) Project Team (via SSMG) required support to design an Environmental Management System (EMS) to meet the objectives of the MoD’s DE&S Acquisition Safety and Environmental Management System (ASEMS) Project-Oriented Environmental Management System Manual (POEMS).
BMT, in partnership with ISM have established the EMS framework which meets the requirements of POEMS but utilises Claims Arguments and Evidence (CAE) methodology to aid in the production of a holistic Environmental Case approach. BMT’s support included the production of:
- An environmental policy states for ISM; to outline and communicate the main objectives of environmental management activity within ISM;
- A Claims-Arguments-Evidence Environmental Case foundation utilising the Adelard ASCE software;
- A stakeholder presentation, developed and delivered to internal and external stakeholders in partnership with ISM Environmental Focal Point;
- An interactive EMS framework to facilitate the development of an Environmental Case in accordance with the objectives outlined in the ISM Policy Statement.
Now the EMS and framework have been established, ISM will begin to populate the framework with existing and new information. Potential benefits that could be realised from implementation of the EMS include:
- Structured management capable of efficiently implementing ISMs environmental policy;
- Managing and demonstrating compliance to environmental standards;
- Managing environmental interactions between equipment’s and stakeholders;
- Reduced environmental risk and impact;
- Efficiencies including financial savings.
For general enquiries relating to In-Service Submarine's approach to Environmental Management, please contact James Perry
Senior Environmental Consultant
BMT Asset Performance