SkyPier at Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA) provides speedy ferry service for transfer passengers, making HKIA a truly multi-modal transport hub for convenient air and sea travel.
What We Delivered
BMT was responsible for all aspects of the ferry pontoons that act as the principal interface for passengers and baggage. Services include:
- Development of ferry berth requirements
- Review of construction and phasing options
- Navigation simulation of arrival / departure by fast ferries
- 3D simulation and animation of operations.
- Development of integrated passenger / baggage scheme
- Design of typhoon mooring system
- Preliminary and detailed design of pontoons
- Construction & Installation supervision
Outcome and Benefits
- Sustainability - The unique mooring system designed for the pier allows it to “ride out” typhoons. This capability removed the need for a separate breakwater – its associated cost and environmental impact.
- Innovation - The SkyPier pontoons provide a unique Airport-SkyPier-China service allowing customer’s bags to travel through to their destination at a Chinese Mainland port.
- Added Value - BMT supported the project from conception to installation, covering all aspects of planning, concept, detailed design, construction supervision and installation.
For general enquiries relating to Airport Ferry Pier Development, Hong Kong, please contact Dr. Richard D. Colwill
Dr. Richard D. Colwill
BMT Asia Pacific