Rob van Uffelen
Specialist Consultant Dangerous Cargo
Rob van Uffelen is an internationally renowned specialist consultant on all matters concerning the transportation of dangerous goods, whether carried by sea, rail, road or inland waterways.
Rob, a certified Master Mariner, spent 11 years at sea in several positions with Shell, Van Ommeren and Royal Nedlloyd. During his career at sea, he gained significant experience on board tankers, general cargo vessels, bulk carriers, RoRo’s and container ships. In 1992, Rob took a position at the Dangerous Goods Department at Royal Nedlloyd where he developed his specialisation in this field. Following the merger with Maersk Lines, Rob became Global Manager Dangerous Cargo of the world’s largest container carrier.
Rob also holds the certificate for Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor (DGSA) for rail, road and inland waterway transport. He has managed several major projects to implement and achieve compliance of dangerous cargo procedures within numerous organisations.
IMDG Consultant, Fire Investigator
- Hazardous Cargo (IMDG) and Dry Bulk Cargoes (IMSBC Code)
- Advice and consultancy on all matters relating to carriage of hazardous cargo (IMDG and IMSBC) for sea transport as well road, rail, inland water way transport
- Preloading advice, supervision and co-ordination
- Emergency response (co-ordination and attendance on site)
- Root cause analyses of incident
- Expert Witness
- author of several publications on dangerous cargo matters (since 2007)
- contributions to the UK P&I Club’s guide “Dangerous Goods guide; Book It Right and Pack It Tight”
- Chairman DG Panel at International Chamber of Shipping, representing the Shipping Lines (2001-2006)
- Member of the working Group Dangerous Cargo Royal Association of Netherlands Shipowners
- Member of the technical Panel International Cargo Handling Coordination Association (ICHCA)
- advisor to the Sub-Committee on Dangerous Cargo and Containers (DSC) of the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) (1993-2006)
- advisor to the Chemical Distribution Institute (CDI) (2001-2006)
- advisor to the Dutch Commission on the Transportation of Dangerous Goods (CTGG)