Erik Overtoom has investigated fires of all different natures, from industrial, civil or marine operations. In 2008 he became Certified Fire Investigator (CFI) of the International Association of Arson Investigators Inc. (IAAI) - the first in the Netherlands. He is also an accredited Fire Investigator of the US National ProBoard on Fire Service Professional Qualification according to the NFPA 1033-2009 Standard.
Erik teaches at the Dutch Institute of Physical Safety and the Dutch Fire Academy. He is also regularly appointed as experienced expert witness in court and arbitration matters.
- Fire & Explosion Investigation
- Tracing source and (initial) location of fires
- Root cause investigations into causes of (marine) fires and explosion
- Sampling and (laboratory) testing
- Advice on fire prevention and prevention procedures
- Investigating trends and performing desktop studies
- Expert Witness
- Valkuilen [Pitfalls], Internal publication Dutch Fire department, 2012.
- Onderzoeker onder spanning [Investigator under pressure], Internal publication Dutch Fire Department, 2011.
- Zonnepanelen [Solar Panels], Internal publication Dutch Fire Department, 2010.
- Several Fire Investigation newsletters, Police Academy publications for the Fire Department, 2000 -2003.
- Publication Brandzaken [Fire matters] for PKN, Police Knowledge Database.
- International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI)
- United Kingdom Chapter of IAAI
- National Association of fire Investigators
- Dutch Chapter IAAI
- NIVRE (Dutch Institute of Chartered Surveyors)