Employer: BMT Canada Ltd.
Position: Senior Naval Architect
Terms of Employment: Permanent / Full Time
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Employment Address: 311 Legget Drive, Ottawa, ON K2K 1Z8
Hours of Work: 38.75 hours per week
Benefits: Eligible for discretionary bonuses and increases in salary. Eligible for company benefits package including health, dental and vision case, 3 weeks of vacation, RRSP plan and bonuses based on company profitability.
Salary: $100,000 - $139,600 per year
- Provide Naval Architectural and Ocean Engineering advice and support to internal and external customers. Subject Matter expertise in:
- Structural strength;
- Seakeeping and motions; and
- Resistance and Propulsion.
- Manage your own technical work and evaluate its effectiveness to improve best practice.
- Work within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Comply with relevant codes of conduct. Including but not limited to:
- IACS Standards
- Transport Canada
- IMO SOLAS and MARPOL
- Undertake engineering activities in a way that contributes to best practice.
- Design of ships and systems at idea, concept, preliminary and detail design level
- Developing Engineering Changes IAW relevant standards
- Ship inspections and surveys
- Ship trim and incline experiments
- Act as Technical Lead on specified projects.
- Lead a technical team to develop the approach to solving naval architectural engineering issues.
- Conduct engineering as per item 5
- Guide the development of more junior staff to effectively conduct the engineering
- Ensure quality of engineering conducted
- Act as Technical Assurer on specified projects.
- Work within the BMT QMS processes and procedures.
- Be able to conduct naval architectural calculations on small simple platforms (tug, barge, ferry) to large complex ships (surface combatants, submarines, cargo and passenger vessels) including:
- Structural strength;
- Seakeeping and motions;
- Resistance and Propulsion;
- Conduct Trim and Incline experiments and associated calculations and documentation.
- Work with Shipyards, Dockyards, Owners, Class and OEMs to conduct ship surveys for design and engineering changes, mid-life upgrades and vessel condition documentation.
- Knowledge of domain specific standards including IMO regulations, Class Society rules, Transport Canada Regulations and Canadian Forces Technical Orders.
- Maintain a program of Continuing Professional Development to sustain your technical knowledge
- Work with your Engineering Manager to identify the levels of SQEP required to fulfil current and projected demand
- Work with your Engineering Manager to identify training or other developmental opportunities to develop SQEP within BMT
- Work with your Engineering Manager to identify resources for project work, training and development opportunities
- Mentor BMT staff who are developing skills, qualifications and experience in their domain
- For deliverables within the NA discipline, act as Technical Lead, Technical Reviewer or Technical Approver, as agreed with the Director of Engineering Operations
- Arbitrate on disputes concerning technical content within their domain
- Design and develop marine vessels and floating structures and associated marine power plants, propulsion systems and related systems and equipment, maintenance and repair of vessels and marine systems
- A university degree in Naval Architecture or a related discipline is required
- At least 8-10 years of related experience as a Naval Architect
- The ability to lead the design and development of the naval architecture components of engineering changes, feasibility studies, designs, and technical investigations for ships or submarines, or marine products;
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant standards and regulations and their impact on design
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; and
- Level II (Secret) Security Clearance or the ability to obtain.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for the position, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, following these guidelines:
- “Senior Naval Architect” in the subject line
- A separate cover letter clearly outlining how your education, security clearance level and experience aligns with the requirements of the job. Cover letters submitted in the body of an email will not be considered.
- A resume outlining work experience and education
- Please name all files with your first and last name e.g., Sara Smith Resume.doc and Sara Smith Cover Letter.doc
311 Legget Dr.
Kanata, ON K2K 1Z8
Attn: Human Resources
BMT is committed to employment equity, to eliminating discrimination and encouraging diversity amongst its workforce. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.