The Mechanical Engineering Specialist will contribute to engineering research and service projects. This position will involve laboratory and desktop engineering work, including test data reduction and finite element modelling. The laboratory work will involve employing advance measurement and testing tools, for which training will be provided. The individual will work within BMT's quality management and health and safety system.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Conduct research related to oil and gas pipeline systems
- Complete mechanical and structural integrity assessments for pipeline systems considering the effects of damage and degradation
- Plan and manage projects, prepare material, cost and timing estimates, reports for research, design and assessment projects
- Complete structural and mechanical analysis using finite element modelling
- Employ MS Excel and/or Matlab to complete engineering calculations
- Design test fixturing and components to support testing programs
- Supervise and inspect the installation, modification and commissioning of mechanical systems within the full-scale testing lab
- Develop and manage maintenance standards and schedules for testing facility and equipment
- Investigate mechanical failures or unexpected maintenance problems
- Specify, contract and coordinate materials and subcontracted services for testing projects
- Supervise technicians, technologists and other engineers and review and approve data reporting, calculations and cost estimates
In addition to these duties, the post holder may be required to carry out such other duties as may reasonably be required, from time to time, to achieve the above role purpose.
Key Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- Mechanical Engineering degree at the graduate level (MASc, MEng)
- Expertise and experience with ANSYS non-linear finite element modelling of mechanical and/or structural systems
- Understanding of and practical experience applying fatigue, fracture and strength of materials concepts
- Experience and expertise with structural experimentation processes and tools including strain gauges, surface laser mapping
- Ability to collect, organize and process experimental data using advanced analysis tools such as MS Excel macros and/or Matlab
- Good communication skills including the ability to organize thoughts, data and prepare task and project reports
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and provide direction to technicians and other engineering personnel
- Health and safety awareness and training including company procedures and regulations
- Ability to recognize problems or limitations and ask for guidance
- 5 + years of engineering experience
- Experience in pipeline integrity assessment including understanding of pipeline system and their operations
- Understanding of quality management systems
- MS Word and MS Excel proficiency
- Project management support familiarity
- Familiarity with test or experimental procedure documentation
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for the position, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, following these guidelines:
- “Intermediate Mechanical Engineering Specialist” in the subject line
- A separate cover letter clearly outlining how your education, security clearance level and experience aligns with the requirements of the job. Cover letters submitted in the body of an email will not be considered.
- A resume outlining work experience and education
- Please name all files with your first and last name e.g., Sara Smith Resume.doc and Sara Smith Cover Letter.doc
311 Legget Dr.
Kanata, ON K2K 1Z8
Attn: Human Resources
BMT is committed to employment equity, to eliminating discrimination and encouraging diversity amongst its workforce. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.