BMT is global independent consultancy, specializing in engineering, science and management services in the energy, defense, and transport sectors. BMT recruits talented individuals from Canada and around the world from the new graduate to seasoned professionals. BMT’s passion for engineering excellence is contagious! BMT offers challenging and rewarding projects and understands that flexibility is important in today’s business world.
The Intermediate Electrical Engineer is responsible for professionally and efficiently executing work in support of client taskings in the field of Electrical Engineering
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Providing general and electrical engineering advice and support to internal and external clients.
- Has an understanding of electrical in-service issues and how they can be designed out.
- With limited supervision is able to:
- Perform Load Analyses, Protection Coordination Studies and Short Circuit Analyses with the aid of commercial software tools.
- Use AutoCAD for the preparation of Single Line Diagrams, Lighting Arrangement drawings, Cable Routing Arrangements.
- Perform electrical engineering calculations using recognized practices for the marine industry and to Classification and other regulatory agency requirements.
- Apply knowledge of electrical generation, electrical distribution systems and the selection of electrical components to new design or in service systems.
- Prepare engineering reports in accordance with company procedures.
- Apply appropriate electrical standards (DEFSTANs, CFTOs, MILSPECs) and Classification Society Rules (Lloyds, ABS, DNV GL), SOLAS (Safety of Life at SEA) and/or IMO (International Maritime Organization) regulations.
- Prepare costs and bills of materials.
- Has an understanding of Electromagnetic Compatibility issues applicable to the marine industry underpinned by a knowledge of fundamental theory.
In addition to these duties, the Intermediate Electrical Engineer may be required to carry out such other duties as may reasonably be required, from time to time, to achieve the above role purpose.
Key Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- Engineering Degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Provincial license for practicing as a Professional Engineer.
- Knowledge and experience on the operation of naval electrical systems.
- Experience in the in-service support of naval electrical systems and/or engineering design.
- Experience in the development and use of technical studies and drawings.
- An understanding of specifications for government and commercial vessels
- Experience in systems integration, ship construction and/or repair.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for the position, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, following these guidelines:
- “EE-012 Intermediate Electrical Engineer” in the subject line
- A separate cover letter clearly outlining how your education, security clearance level and experience aligns with the requirements of the job. Cover letters submitted in the body of an email will not be considered.
- A resume outlining work experience and education
- Please name all files with your first and last name e.g., Sara Smith Resume.doc and Sara Smith Cover Letter.doc
311 Legget Dr.
Kanata, ON K2K 1Z8
Attn: Human Resources
BMT is committed to employment equity, to eliminating discrimination and encouraging diversity amongst its workforce. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.