Principal Engineer/Scientist - Business Development for North Region
Where truly outstanding people design and deliver engineering success. BMT was formed in 1985 and is the largest, independent maritime research and technology organisation in the world. BMT has over 30 offices on five continents and employs over 1,200 technical staff. We provide services to industry, commerce, policy-makers, regulators and public sector operators in the fields of energy and environment, transport and defence on a global basis. The ongoing success of our company is found in our dedication to scientific and engineering excellence, value for money, innovation and a strong customer focus.
- We are adventurous thinkers, and responsible, responsive doers.
- We constantly challenge ourselves, our colleagues, our partners and our competitors.
- We use BMT's breadth and depth to find new opportunity.
- We raise the standards for integrity and presentation in everything we do.
We are expanding our UK operations in the Water and Environment sector and seeking a Principal Engineer/Scientist with strong Business Development to support our growth.
You will be joining at an exciting time and have the opportunity to really make a difference to the business. Coming on board you will build the pipeline of new projects outside of London and spur regional growth, ultimately leading to establishing a new office in the North of England, from which to deliver our environmental consulting services. The job will entail selling flood risk management consulting services and software to new and existing customers, including environmental regulators, Lead Local Flood Authorities, water utilities and private developers.
Initially you will be working with an established and dynamic team in London, who will deliver the projects. Over time you will help establish another team of environmental engineering consultants in one of the core cities of the northern powerhouse.
Responsibilities within Business Development
- Contacting new clients in new markets to expand the business;
- Fulfilling requirements for business deals and other business obligations;
- Selling products and services provided by the business;
- Networking with related businesses and fostering B2B relationships;
- Marketing the company to potential clients and partners;
- Determining the value of financial decisions;
- Contributing to creative discussions and decision-making about the business' future;
- Encouraging other employees and customers to take part in growing the business by showing enthusiasm for your work and maintaining a positive attitude;
- Mentoring staff in client relationship management, bid management and proposal writing;
- Analysing business aspects internally and seeking opportunities for growth;
- Monitoring changes in workflow or client relationships; and
- Presenting to executives and other staff.
As Principal Engineer/Scientist you will:
- Carry out professional technical work involving considerable independence in approach, and a high degree of originality, ingenuity and judgement;
- Provide strategic advice to management and business units, and directs or advises on business opportunities;
- Supervise and review the work of engineers, designers/drafters, scientists and technicians;
- Share knowledge and acts as mentor within area of expertise or across the business. Adheres to, and actively promote, quality, safety and environmental procedures/ standards;
- Contribute to thought leadership activities through your work and/or by authoring papers and presenting at events, seminars and conferences;
- Maintain Chartered Status and Registration as a Professional Engineer if applicable;
- May act as Project Manager on a range of projects, managing projects to scope and within time, cost and quality requirements.
To be successful, applicants will be required to address the following essential criteria:
- Experience working within the UK flood risk management sector, identifying new business opportunities, selling products and consulting services;
- Proven track record of developing relationships and building a portfolio of work;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Keen interest in identifying, developing and applying leading edge technology and innovative approaches;
- Knowledge of applying hydraulic modelling (TUFLOW, Flood Modeller, InfoWorks ICM, etc) as a tool to support flood risk management;
- Completed a Bachelor's degree in Engineering or other relevant area of study;
- Postgraduate qualifications or research experience in a relevant field such as flood hydraulics, hydrology or floodplain management is desirable but not essential.
You will be joining a company whose culture is focused on the sustainability of the business's core values, in which the personal and professional development of our staff, the flexible ‘family' friendly workplace, the challenge of innovative work, and the enjoyment of what we do is paramount.
Written applications addressing the above criteria, along with a full CV, should be forwarded to Tiffanny Jackson-Davey, HR Business Partner, BMT Group Ltd, (email@example.com).
Applicants must have the right to work in this location to apply for this job.
For further details about the BMT Group visit our website http://www.bmt.org/
For further information on BMT WBM, please visit their website: www.bmtwbm.com.au
Who to contact / How to apply:
To apply please send a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to have an informal discussion about this role prior to applying please contact:
Tiffanny Jackson-Davey on 0208 614 4271