Lead Weight Engineer
BMT are looking for a Lead Weight Engineer to work in the superyacht sector on the design and build of very large superyachts. The aim of the role will be to grow and develop BMTs existing weight-engineering capability in collaboration with superyacht yards. The role will require some supervision of, checking and coordination with other weight engineers to ensure consistency of delivery to our clients.
BMT, based in Southampton, UK is a leading independent Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering design consultancy providing a broad portfolio of services for advanced and specialised vessels, from initial concept through to detailed design and production.
The role can be broken down into two main areas. The role will be a combination of both:
Project Weight Engineer – For a specific project you will:
- Maintain the project weight calculation and report on a regular basis.
- Make direct calculations of weight and centre of gravity using rule of thumb and/or past vessel data.
- Liaise and chase suppliers, subcontractors and other team members to get weight information where required.
- Provide input to the planning and implementation of necessary procedures identified for the project.
- Take an active role in solving weight challenges across the project.
- Carry out weight surveys, inclining tests as required during build.
- Motivate the project teams to keep focussed on weight issues.
Weight Engineering Lead – As lead engineer you will:
- Develop weight procedures and policy internally and externally with the yards.
- Provide a focal point between all parties for the Weight Engineering.
- Ensure consistent approach between the various projects and weight engineers.
- Investigate and champion ways to improve all aspects regarding the weight engineering.
In addition to these duties the post holder may be required to carry out such other duties as may reasonably be required, from time to time, to achieve the above job purpose.
The successful candidate will be degree qualified (preferably Engineering). They shall have excellent analytical and communication skills. As well as having good knowledge of compiling weight and COG estimates, they should also have good knowledge of process development, for the successful implementation of weight monitoring in complex build projects.
The use of software tools such as Microsoft Excel, Rhinosorus 3D, AutoCad are considered essential. Experience of other ship building software such as Ship Weight, Cadmatic, and NUPAS are considered an advantage.
The candidate would preferably have 3-5 year’s experience in the ship building environment, but other similar engineering environments can be considered.
Please apply with CV and covering letter
For further information on BMT Nigel Gee, please visit their website: www.bmtng.com
Who to contact / How to apply:
To apply please send a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org