Wind Tunnel Technician
We are always on the look-out for motivated Wind Tunnel Technicians to join our team supporting the day-to-day operations of the Wind Tunnel facilities. The role is very hands-on and ranges from substantial physical activity, such as light lifting, as well as desk-based work.
BMT Group Ltd (www.bmt.org) is a leading multi-disciplinary management, engineering, science and technology consultancy, serving clients principally in the defence, transport and energy sectors, with 1600 staff in 26 subsidiary companies globally.
Within the BMT Group, Fluid Mechanics (BMT FM) is internationally recognised as a leading engineering consultancy, providing specialist consultancy services to the Civil Construction and Oil & Gas industries. Based on world leading expertise in fluid/structure interactions and building physics, BMT FM uses state-of-the-art in-house capabilities for physical (wind tunnel) and numerical modelling.
The Wind Tunnel team maintains and operates three large wind tunnel facilities including a race car facility, an aeronautical wind tunnel and an environmental wind tunnel where bespoke wind tunnel models are tested using a range of testing techniques. Operations are 24/7 and are based on a continuous rota of staff in UK and Malaysia. The Company procures wind tunnel models through a network of external suppliers as well as through an on-site model-making workshop.
Responsibilities will include:
- Installing wind tunnel instrumentation systems and testing equipment
- Installing wind tunnel test sections and models to specification
- Checking build quality of models in line with the internal quality checking procedures, liaising with the Workshop Quality Manager and Modelmakers
- Assisting with wind tunnel facilities maintenance and improvement plans
- Maintaining on site model movement with occasional use of forklifting equipment
- Producing project photography
- Adhering to Quality and Health & Safety Procedures at all times
Initially you will work in a shift pattern which alternates weekly. The two shifts Monday to Friday a.m. are currently 06:00-14:00 and 14:00-22:00, each with 30 minutes lunch break. There may be occasional overtime and weekend work when required. In the future, we are looking at moving to three shifts daily to cover a 24-hour period.
We are looking for highly motivated team players with the following essential qualifications and competencies:
- BTEC/HND/Apprenticeship or equivalent qualification as Laboratory Technician or related discipline
- Experience in a workshop or laboratory environment
- Familiar with electronics
- Ability to use various power and hand tools
- IT competent: specifically a working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook
- Good time keeping and a level head under pressure
- Ability to work with commitment and a high degree of self-motivation
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Good problem solving and multi-tasking ability
- Strong communication skills
Additionally, the following would be considered advantageous but not essential as training will be provided:
- Previous experience in a wind tunnel
- Working knowledge of data acquisition and analogue to digital conversion systems
- Working knowledge of signal conditioning procedures
- Working knowledge flow measurement systems and associated instrumentation systems
The position would suit someone who enjoys being challenged and learning new skills in a fast-paced, multi-cultural professional laboratory environment.
The successful candidate must have permission to work in the UK by the start of their employment.
Benefits include subsidised meals, pension scheme, life assurance, sponsorship of professional membership subscription, 20 days’ annual leave plus 3 additional days between Christmas and New Year, and participation in the Employee Benefit Trust profit sharing scheme.
Applicants are requested to submit a CV and cover letter, to Debbie Whitefoot, HR Manager, BMT Fluid Mechanics Ltd. (Debbie.Whitefoot@bmtglobal.com).
For further information on BMT Fluid Mechanics, please visit their website: www.bmtfm.com
Who to contact / How to apply:
To apply please send a copy of your CV to Debbie.Whitefoot@bmtglobal.com