Senior Piping / Structural Designers
BMT Designers & Planners is seeking experienced Piping and Structural Designers to support naval architect and marine engineering team
BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. is a full-service technical and management consultancy. Clients include the federal government, domestic and international marine, environmental and safety companies. Our technical and managerial competencies include: Ship Design and Engineering Services; Reliability Centered Maintenance, Systems Safety and Logistics Support; Environmental and Energy Policy Formulation and Support, Human Factors Engineering and Applied Environmental Services. Our professional staff provides high caliber designs and engineering solutions, comprehensive test and evaluation analysis and management support services exceeding customer expectations. BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. is 100% owned by BMT Group. For further information on BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. please visit www.dandp.com.
BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. is a BMT Group Company. BMT Group is an international design, science, engineering, risk and program management consultancy, serving clients principally in the defense, energy and transport sectors. For further information on BMT Group, please visit www.bmt.org.
BMT Designers & Planners is seeking an experienced Piping and Structural Designers to support naval architect and marine engineering team. Designer will create 2D AutoCAD ship drawings from initial product design documents and review ship engineering drawings and designs to ensure adherence to established specification and standards. Designer tasking will include development of structural drawings and or piping and machinery drawings from conceptual ship drawings to detail and production design drawings to updating as built drawings in a 2D environment and using ShipConstructor.
Work Locations: Alexandria, VA; New Orleans, LA; Tacoma, WA
Candidates must be US citizen with the ability to obtain DOD security clearance. Company will not sponsor work visa for this position.
- Associates Degree or Technical School Diploma and (8) years’ experience creating / modifying structural drawings or piping and machinery using AutoCAD, or High School Diploma and minimum 10 years’ experience creating or modifying structural drawings using AutoCAD
- Minimum 8 years’ experience creating / modifying structural detail or piping and machinery detail and production design ship drawings using 2D AutoCAD and/or ShipConstructor including logical views that are clear and understandable, weld symbols, proper labeling and dimensioning, and other details.
- Ability to “design for production” resulting in drawings that define structural or piping and machinery details that can be economically produced using normal, current shipbuilding practices.
- Familiarity with both steel and aluminum structures and an understanding the difference between the two with respect to cutting, forming, and welding and the types of shaped stiffeners.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience reviewing and applying established specifications and basic engineering and design principles to verify accuracy and completeness of finished drawings with attention to detail and quality is required.
- Experience preparing drawings using ANSI standards and normal ship design and shipbuilding practices. Knowledge of USN and USCG drawing standards and templates.
- Some experience preparing mechanical systems drawings such as system diagrams and schematics.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience using Outlook, MS Word and Excel.
- Experience working with a multidisciplinary design team organizing and managing time constraints and meeting delivery deadlines is required.
- Experience working in USCG/DoD marine environment required. Shipyard experience preferred.
- Ability to learn new AutoCAD and ShipConstructor skills and design standards and apply them directly to current projects is required
- Demonstrate ability to proactively investigate and resolve technical design problems is required
- ShipConstructor Software skills highly desirable
- Strong listening, verbal and written communication skills that facilitate ability to reach out, ask questions and complete tasks as well as following engineering protocols are required.
- Demonstrated proficiency in completing detail-oriented tasks on time working independently and with multidisciplinary team is required
- Dependable, proven ability and commitment to provide high caliber customer support to include anticipating and understanding needs, managing expectations and communicating results and/or challenges
- Confident action oriented, self-starter with a sense of integrity and actively contributes to building and expanding consultancy services
- Physically able to conduct ship checks including being in confined spaces, climbing ladders and lifting up to 20 pounds is required
BMT Designers & Planners enjoys a diverse professional staff and offers a comprehensive benefits package and competitive salaries. Interested candidates must email resume, BMT Employment Application and surveys with subject line "ENG 67 to HR@dandp.com or fax to 703-920-7091. Find application and surveys below. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce. BMT Designers & Planners is an Equal Opportunity Employer & Affirmative Action Employer of M/F/Veterans/Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
For further information on BMT Designers & Planners, please visit their website: www.dandp.com
Who to contact / How to apply:
To apply please send a copy of your CV to HR@dandp.com
If you would like to have an informal discussion about this role prior to applying please contact:
Patricia Ghannam on +1 703 920 7070