Marine Electrical Engineer
BMT Designers & Planners is seeking a Marine Electrical Engineer to support the design and modifications to naval and commercial vessels.
BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. is a full-service technical and management consultancy. Clients include the federal government, domestic and international marine, environmental and safety companies. Our technical and managerial competencies include: Ship Design and Engineering Services; Reliability Centered Maintenance, Systems Safety and Logistics Support; Environmental and Energy Policy Formulation and Support, Human Factors Engineering and Applied Environmental Services. Our professional staff provides high caliber designs and engineering solutions, comprehensive test and evaluation analysis and management support services exceeding customer expectations. BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. is 100% owned by BMT Group. For further information on BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. please visit www.dandp.com.
BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. is a BMT Group Company. BMT Group is an international design, science, engineering, risk and program management consultancy, serving clients principally in the defense, energy and transport sectors. For further information on BMT Group, please visit www.bmt.org.
BMT Designers & Planners is seeking a Marine Electrical Engineer to support the design and modifications to naval and commercial vessels. The Electrical Engineer will interpret ship specifications, prepare electric plant load analyses; size generators, switchboards, power panels, circuit breakers, motors and controllers, battery banks, and all cabling, prepare electrical system one line diagrams and other electrical design drawings from concept to detail design level of detail, for all shipboard electrical systems such as power and lighting and CCTV and interior communications. The engineer will evaluate alternative electric plant generation and distribution systems, including both AC and DC. Direct current systems will range from 24 volts for small commercial vessels to high voltage systems for large ships. The engineer will participate in trade-off studies of alternative propulsion and electric plants including integrated electric systems and diesel electric-drive systems. The engineer will conduct fault current analyses, protective device coordination studies, and transient voltage dip calculations. The Electrical Engineer will design the navigational lighting systems, and complete other electrical system related tasks as assigned.
The Electrical Engineer must be familiar with both commercial and military ship electrical system standards, such as IEEE-45, CFR Subchapter J, USCG and ABS or other classification society rules, NAVSEA Design Practices and Criteria Manual for Electrical Systems on Surface Ships and other Navy design data sheets for electrical systems, MIL-STD-1310, NEMA, and the National Electric Code.
BMT desires that the Electrical Engineer can support the integration of propulsion, steering, and machinery alarm, monitoring, and control systems. The Electrical Engineer will develop monitoring and control system specifications, I/O lists, block diagrams, and interconnect diagrams. The Electrical Engineer will review mechanical and electrical systems controls, troubleshoot systems and equipment operations problem to identify any electrical controls related causes, develop solutions for controls system problems, develop specifications to replace or repair electrical controls systems, ship check systems and make or direct field repairs to electrical systems controls. The Electrical Engineer will support the integration of C4ISR systems and navigation systems with the vessel’s HM&E systems.
Candidates must be United States (US) citizens with the ability to obtain a Government Computer Access Card (CAC). Possession of, or the ability to obtain, a DoD security clearance is a plus.
Work Location: Alexandria, VA or Seattle, WA
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or related discipline required
- Professional Engineer License highly desirable
- 10 years electrical engineering work experience with marine power generation, distribution, controls or other shipboard electrical systems required
- Experience working with IEEE-45 requirements, ABS Rules for Classification of Ships, 46 CFR, and National Electric Code required
- 2-5 years’ experience using AutoCAD to prepare, review and redline electrical system drawings in a DoD, USCG, or shipyard work environment required. Knowledge of USCG and US Navy drawing standards and templates desired
- Experience working both independently and with multidisciplinary teams engineering teams organizing and managing time constraints and tasks required
- Sea service or shipyard design or production experience preferred Physically able to conduct ship checks including being in confined spaces, climbing ladders and lifting up to 25 pounds required
- Promptly and proactively investigate and resolve engineering or design assignments, demonstrating proficiency in completing detail-oriented tasks on time
- Advance MS Office Word and Excel skills and strong technical writing skills to create technical reports and papers required
- Strong listening and communication skills are required to professionally represent the company with clients, reach out, ask questions, confirm understanding of requirements and expectations, and convey results and conclusions.
- Ability to learn new skills and design standards and apply them directly to current work
- Interest in actively contributing to individual, team, and company growth
- Confident, action-oriented, self-starter with a sense of integrity and actively contributes to building and expanding consultancy services
BMT Designers & Planners enjoys a diverse professional staff and offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package. Applicants must email resume, BMT Employment Application and Surveys with subject line "ENG 77" to HR@dandp.com or fax to 703-920-7091. Find application and surveys below. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce. BMT Designers & Planners is an Equal Opportunity Employer & Affirmative Action Employer of M/F/Veterans/Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
For further information on BMT Designers & Planners, please visit their website: www.dandp.com
Who to contact / How to apply:
To apply please send a copy of your CV to HR@dandp.com
If you would like to have an informal discussion about this role prior to applying please contact:
Patricia Ghannam on +1 703 920 7070