BMT Designers & Planners is seeking a Junior Engineer to work closely with senior engineering staff to provide detailed ship design and engineering support
BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. is a full-service technical and management consultancy. Clients include the federal government, domestic and international marine, environmental and safety companies. Our technical and managerial competencies include: Ship Design and Engineering Services; Advanced Technology, Reliability Centered Maintenance, Systems Safety and Logistics Support; Environmental and Energy Policy Formulation and Support, Human Factors Engineering and Applied Environmental Services. Our professional staff provides high caliber designs and engineering support, state of the art modeling & simulation, advanced system dynamics analysis and technology and management support services exceeding customer expectations. BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. is 100% owned by BMT Group. For further information on BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. please visit www.dandp.com.
BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. is a BMT Group Company. BMT Group is an international design, science, engineering, risk and program management consultancy, serving clients principally in the defense, energy and transport sectors. For further information on BMT Group, please visit www.bmt.org.
BMT Designers & Planners is seeking a Junior Engineer to work closely with senior engineering staff to provide detailed ship design and engineering support to Government and commercial clients.
Junior engineer will perform vessel and vessel system designs under senior engineer supervision and research technical problems including but not limited to ship structures, electrical, mechanical, navigation, and report findings to multidisciplinary team. Knowledge of early-phase total ship design including fields such as weight estimating, hull form development, power and speed estimating, stability, structures, and seakeeping analysis is helpful. Additional knowledge of design of shipboard fluid systems, propulsion, machinery arrangement, auxiliary systems, control and monitoring and/or HVAC systems is also preferred.
Must have working experience with AutoCAD and some experience with 3D CAD (e.g., Rhino). Experience with finite element analysis and software packages such as MAESTRO, NASTRAN, or FEMAP is desirable. Experience with ASSET, GHS, NavCad, SHCP, or SMP software is highly desirable.
Junior Engineer must be interested in developing engineering capabilities as well as professional consulting skills. Must be resourceful, hardworking, detail oriented, self-starter interested in working with multidisciplinary team to resolve problems in a fast paced, high pressure environment. Professional integrity and attention to quality including checking own designs and calculations as well as providing technical reports and presentation to ensure final products exceed client expectations.
Work Location: Alexandria, VA
Candidates must be U.S. citizens with the ability to obtain a DoD security clearance. Company will not sponsor a work visa for this position.
- Minimum 1 year experience identifying, researching and resolving ship design technical problems required
- Minimum 1 year experience analyzing and translating design requirements into a consistent ship design
- Demonstrated ability to draft and/or review ship drawings using AutoCAD
- Familiarity with US Coast Guard and US Navy or commercial ship design standards
- Must have knowledge of mechanical systems
- Proven ability to effectively engage in multiple projects and work in a fast paced environment
Education & Skills:
- Bachelors Degree in Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering or related field required.
- Advance AutoCAD skills required
- Advanced MS Word, Excel and Power Point skills required to perform tasks and write technical reports
- Confident and clear verbal communication skills are required to successfully listen, reach out, ask questions and work with multidisciplinary teams to facilitate consensus and complete tasks
- Excellent organizational skills to complete multiple and sometimes complex detail-oriented projects and tasks on time
- Committed to actively contributing to individual and team growth
- Proactive and confident self starter with strong technical writing and oral presentation skills required
- Ability to learn new skills and apply them directly to current work is a MUST
- Interested in learning and developing engineering and logistics capabilities is a MUST
- Proven ability to organize, quality review and deliver project results on time is a MUST
- Confident action oriented, self-starter with a sense of integrity and actively contribute to building and expanding consultancy services
BMT Designers & Planners enjoys a diverse professional staff and offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package. Applicants must email resume, BMT Employment Application and Surveys with subject line "ENG 58" to HR@dandp.com or fax to 703-920-7091. Find application and surveys below. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce. BMT Designers & Planners is an Equal Opportunity Employer & Affirmative Action Employer of M/F/Veterans/Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
For further information on BMT Designers & Planners, please visit their website: www.dandp.com
Who to contact / How to apply:
To apply please send a copy of your CV to HR@dandp.com
If you would like to have an informal discussion about this role prior to applying please contact:
Patricia Ghannam on +1-703-920-7070