Electrical Controls Engineer/Port Engineer
BMT Designers & Planners is seeking an Electrical Controls Engineer/Port Engineer to provide ship equipment and machinery controls, and systems controls technical support to acquisition and life cycle field service programs.
BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. is a full-service technical and management consultancy. Clients include the federal government, domestic and international marine, environmental and safety companies. Our technical and managerial competencies include: Ship Design and Engineering Services; Reliability Centered Maintenance, Systems Safety and Logistics Support; Environmental and Energy Policy Formulation and Support, Human Factors Engineering and Applied Environmental Services. Our professional staff provides high caliber designs and engineering solutions, comprehensive test and evaluation analysis and management support services exceeding customer expectations. BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. is 100% owned by BMT Group. For further information on BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. please visit www.dandp.com.
BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. is a BMT Group Company. BMT Group is an international design, science, engineering, risk and program management consultancy, serving clients principally in the defense, energy and transport sectors. For further information on BMT Group, please visit www.bmt.org.
BMT Designers & Planners is seeking an Electrical Controls Engineer/Port Engineer to provide ship equipment and machinery controls, and systems controls technical support to acquisition and life cycle field service programs. Position will review, test and evaluate mechanical and electrical systems controls, identify root cause, troubleshoot and resolve systems and equipment electrical controls operation problems, develop specifications for the replacement and repair of electrical controls systems, write technical manuals for electrical and mechanical equipment including controls, ship check systems and make field repairs to electrical systems controls or programming of PLCs, evaluate power and lighting systems, electric propulsion systems and diesel electric drive systems, perform electric power load and fault current analysis; and complete other electrical system related tasks as assigned. Duties will also include providing on the job training to improve crew knowledge and skills, mark-up and redline drawings to reflect actual conditions during sip checks, review data and create design reports and notes. Must be able to perform ship checks and surveys. Some travel anticipated.
Candidates must be a United States citizen with a DoD security clearance or ability to obtain security clearance. Company will not sponsor work visa for this position.
Location: Work at Home
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering (EE) or EE Technology and 3 years of field experience or industry training related to PLC programming with over 8 years of field experience required.
- Professional Engineer license is highly desirable
- Minimum 4 years’ electrical controls engineering work experience with industrial, controls required. 2 years’ experience with marine systems and equipment controls highly desirable.
- Minimum of 3-years’ experience working with an engineering team(s) to sustain industrial or marine plants and perform maintenance, repairs and engineering changes
- Minimum 3 years’ experience reviewing and redlining electrical drawings in an industrial environment required
- Minimum 2-years’ experience integrating marine or industrial controls with machinery control systems highly desirable
- Minimum of 4 years using MS Office Word and Excel to produce and edit technical reports, and analyze and review technical data required
- At sea or ship yard production experience to include time billeted to ships, working in a shipyard environment, or working in the division of a company that primarily provides support to the maritime industry highly desirable
- Experience using AutoCAD with the ability to redline drawings required
- Physically able to conduct ship checks including being in confined spaces, climbing ladders and lifting up to 25 pounds required
- Knowledge of USCG and US Navy drawing standards and templates
- Work independently and with multidisciplinary teams to promptly and procatively investigate and resolve mechancal & electrical system controls problems is required
- Proactively learns new skills and design standards and applies this knowledge directly to project work
- Confident, dependable, self-starter with strong listening and clear verbal communication skills that facilitate ability to reach out, ask questions and complete detail-oriented tasks on time is required
BMT Designers & Planners enjoys a diverse professional staff and offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package. Applicants must email resume, BMT Employment Application and Surveys with subject line "RCM 93" to HR@dandp.com or fax to 703-920-7091. Find application and surveys below. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce. BMT Designers & Planners is an Equal Opportunity Employer & Affirmative Action Employer of M/F/Veterans/Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
For further information on BMT Designers & Planners, please visit their website: www.dandp.com
Who to contact / How to apply:
To apply please send a copy of your CV to HR@dandp.com
If you would like to have an informal discussion about this role prior to applying please contact:
Patricia Ghannam on +1 703 920 7070