Human Factors Consultant
Who are we? BMT Asset Performance Ltd (www.bmtapl.com) comprises specialists from across the entire range of disciplines needed to address a full-spectrum of engineering asset management issues.
Our services span the full lifecycle of ownership and blend enterprise-level consultancy, solving real-world business critical problems, with unmatched engineering analytical pedigree.
In this way we help our clients ensure at every stage, that goals for cost, performance, safety, supportability and legal compliance will be met.
We offer a competitive salary (based on skills and experience), contributory pension scheme, life assurance, 25 days holiday, Profit Share, plus other benefits.
What’s the role?
We have an immediate need for Human Factors (HF) Engineering support to a major client through our Plymouth office. Longer term we wish to use this capability to support our clients across our Defence Business Lines (Underwater Systems, Surface Systems and Land Systems) and our non-defence markets.
There is an increasing awareness of the importance of designing military systems which match the capabilities of their intended users, maintainers and trainers. As a result we are seeing an increased demand for HF expertise as part of our consultancy services.
We are expanding our existing HF team and are looking for qualified HF engineers/scientists at all levels from recent graduates to experienced experts.
Successful applicants will be expected to work on a wide variety of projects ranging from short focussed studies to multi-year defence programmes working alongside BMT APL and BMT Group systems engineers, equipment and software engineers, safety, training and supportability engineering specialists.
What are we looking for?
We would like to hear from applicants able to provide a range of skills, qualifications and experience in Human Factors.
We recognise that you may not have everything we are looking for, but welcome applicants that have skills and experience in at least some of the following:
- Experience in the design and assessment of workspaces, workstation design and Human Machine Interfaces (HMI), including the application of military, national and international standards
- Experience in the design and assessment of software interfaces, including the application of standards, development of Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) style Guides, use of prototyping/simulation and usability assessment
- An understanding of human physical and cognitive performance assessment, including workload, situational awareness and human error
- An understanding of the human element in the reliability of systems, the human’s contribution to safety, including human reliability assessment, human error analysis, risk and safety audits, safety management and human performance modelling
- Membership of the CIEHF (with a route to Registered Membership and Chartered status)
- Experience of working in multi-disciplinary engineering teams and/or engineering consultancy
- Degree qualified or equivalent in a relevant discipline (preferably psychology, human factors or systems engineering but not essential)
- Experience leading and managing packages of work
- Working directly with clients and building customer relationships
- Working on own or as part of team
The following skills are desirable but not essential:
- Experience of applying Human Factors techniques, tools, standards and guidance to the design and assessment of facilities and systems
- Knowledge of UK MOD Human Factors Integration (HFI) policy and experience of applying HFI process and guidance (e.g. Defence Standard 00-251)
- Experience in project management
We also welcome applications from recent graduates with a degree in Human Factors, Psychology or related degree, but who may have limited or no experience in the defence sector.
How to apply…
To apply for this role please apply below.
If you would like to have an informal discussion about this role prior to applying please contact Victoria Johnson on 01225 473 601.
For further information on BMT Asset Performance, please visit their website: https://www.bmtapl.com/